Ribbon mic: ribbon material:readily available:substitutions?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fito thanks for your always interesting comments

yes i too thought two combs would be cool
i'll have to experiment... it might be overkill... :grin:

that "ribbon hammer" sounds like a cool idea...someone build one... hehe ...it might have to be me... hehe :grin: ...but don't wait for me...lets get ta DIY'in ya'll

Also, fito if you look in the article that xvlk so kindly offered (on that RCA mic) there is a reference to high frequencey that I have been meaning to tell you about...

BTW if one of our ribbon mic guru's would care to expand on this theory..that would be great! :wink:

it says something about the physical dimensions of the surrounding material having a major effect on the high frequency ...something we may be locked into because of our designs.. :sad:

it's great reading ..check it out... be ready to get a new brain cell or two... lol..there's so much info there...thanks again xvlk.. :grin:

fito ...you are doing some real nice experimenting and offer some great applicable info...thanks... :grin:

later

McMaster-Carr sells 12 micron aluminum foil. Go to the bottom of the page and click on Raw Materials/Metals.

Anything thinner that isn't deposited onto a substrate and you'll probably have to go to a research materials supplier. Then you're talking maybe $100+ for a few square inches because it's usually ultra pure material. But I can track down my supplier list if you're interested.

Thomas

thanks for the info...i really like the material I am using now...the cigarette foil...I have no way to measure it but...the cheap cigarettes seem to use very thin foil ...and the method stretches and thins it a bit more...

Also: the thread is "readily available ribbon material" and since $100 isn't usually "readily available" then it would not be acceptable.. :wink:

and 12 microns :shock: that at least twice as thick as my cig foil... :?

if the foil is so easily available and almost perfect...it seems interesting to persue the "ribbon hammer" ...certainly if it could be made cheaply with "readily available materials"

thanks
ts :?

[quote author="PRR"]
The ribbon mike is inefficient in a way that makes the frequency response fairly smooth [/quote]
What is this ???????????????????????????????????????????? /.../ ?????
Ribbon mic is veryvery efficient. It makes flat frequency response
by the mass (noiseless) and it can not done in directional capacitor...

Yes, it have low impedance and small voltage, this not mean inefficient.

xvlk

Latest posts

Back