GSSL

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirk666

This is a first project for me and ive learned so much so far,but there are some holes in my knowledge it would seem.

At this point I have the standard ssl pcb(s) populated, caps, resistors, ics
diodes, all there; except dist trim (i dont need these with 2180THAT no?)

so here goes

1. STUPIDEST QUESTION FIRST- On the pcb, what are all those -component side- tracks? i.e the ones coming from the VCA area to the on board power supply. Two holes with white lines running between them. Do they simply need to have some sort of wire connecting them up. they mistify me. Oh and there are also single holes at the corners of the VCA section.

2. POWER SURPLY- I have an 18V 2,5VA TX instead of 15V. its the same as the one that slots into the pcb but 18vWill this cuase a problem?. Voltage regs are 15's and 12's.

3. CONECTORS- The connectors at the top of the pcb marked CBA-DGEF+ . Is there a name for the plastic conector so I dont have to wire directly to the board? It says angled connector on the pdf. Im using Jaycar and RS and Tesa as suppliers. But not sure how to find the part that will fit exactly. Also found this note on the old gryaf page-'Note that, depending on your 19"1u cabinet, there might not be room for an angled PCB connector'.

4. GROUND- Which is the best pl;ace to connect too?

I thought I had a couple more questions but a little research should cure that. Thanks for the cup of tea honey.

Welcome!

1. Two holes with white lines: These are indicators of wire bridges; two holes to be connected by a piece of wire (eg the legs of all resistors that you cut off after soldering are perfect for this..)

Single holes at VCA section corners:

On the original beasts (SSL FX384) the VCA section was on a separate PCB, which was connected to the main PCB via vertical wire bridges; the holes indicate where the separate PCB had to be connected to the main PCB. Not relevant in your case.

2. PSU: 18V is fine too. Your regulators will generate a little more heat; check that they don't run too hot!

3. Connectors: Search for "Molex" connector

4. GND: where to connect?

Mount a 3 pin MOLEX connector to the PCB, there where it says "Use only if external TX". The middle pin of the connector should go to chassis and power outlet GND. The four holes at the pcb corners are covered by copper at the solder side; this copper is also connected to the internal grounding.

Good luck!

Rogy

Latest posts

Back