LA2A T4b cap selection

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnalogPackrat

I've finally got all my parts together to build one of the Bloo kits. I'd like to be able to use the unit for compressing vocals, bass, and maybe guitar. Should I use a larger series cap in the T4b given that I want to use it for bass? If so, what range of values would be good.

Oh, and one other thing. I'm using Sowter transformers and they both have flying leads. For ease of assembly I was thinking of mounting either a tag strip or a small pcb to the underside of each mounting plate. Flying leads and other connections would be made there. Make sense? Or is there a better alternative?

Thanks,
Analog Packrat

on mine I just use heat shrink and solder the leads together.. but yea... tag boards would probably look more polished...

as for the cap... are you talking about the coupling cap? or the cap inside the T4b?

I would stick with the one I sent with the T4b module.. its the exact same one you would find in every la2a out there :)

but later on if you want to experiment then that would be the time.. once you have it working

You can short out the cap in the T4 for experimentation purposes. Just tack on a jumper across the cap to take it out of the circuit, clip the leads off a resistor and lightly tack it so it can be removed easily. You will notice a more bass friendly compressor. The early T4's had no cap. See that there is a coupling cap on the 6AQ5, which will prevent the DC plate voltage from nuking the EL panel.
cj

Beer coming soon. Finally pay day! :grin: :guinness:

Thanks, Scenaria and CJ. I am talking about the cap inside the T4b. I guess I'll build it with the 4n7 cap and experiment later. I was just curious if there was some middle ground value that would do better with bass, but not completely eliminate the cap.

Yeah, CJ, I see the coupling cap on the 6AQ5. I guess if I think about it, that 10nf pretty much defines the upper limit on what would be useful inside the T4 since they are in series...

Enjoy your payday :guinness:

Analog Packrat

A 0.1 would be a good starting place. When you series caps, you use the parallel resistance formula, in other words, the capacitance of two caps in series will always be less than the smallest cap used. So the 4700 is taking the AQ5 cap almost out of the eqyuation.

Latest posts

Back