Corner Frequency question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SSLtech

Can anyone double check me on a quick calculation of a low cutoff corner frequency?

Source impedance is low... a couple of ohms or less. DC blocking cap in-line is 1µF, load impedance is 47k.

I just want to make sure that I haven't received a promotion to major...

..."Major Lee Scroode"...

Keith

No, It's not a trick. I think I missed a multiplier and for some reason I had major LF rolloff in my calculations... AFTER I built and shipped the unit! (Sounded right to me, and the cap value seemed plenty big enough, so I didn't do the math at the time!)

Anyhow, I think I must've put 47Ω instead of 47k or something equally silly! -Perhaps I put 1nF instead of 1µF... who knows, it's a lot of zeroes either way!

Anyhow, as long as I get decent 20Hz or lower response with 1µF into a 47K load, I'm a happy camper! -I just had a momentary panic that it might be too late to fix if I really did get it wrong!

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"]No, It's not a trick. I think I missed a multiplier and for some reason I had major LF rolloff in my calculations... AFTER I built and shipped the unit![/quote]

Ha! :thumb: Good job!
-Tom

[quote author="SSLtech"]Anyhow, I think I must've put 47Ω instead of 47k or something equally silly! -Perhaps I put 1nF instead of 1µF... who knows, it's a lot of zeroes either way![/quote]

Hey, you wouldn't be the first. Several years ago I helped my supervisor at the Speaker & Stereo Store build a set of super speakers, but the %##$&^% things never sounded right; there was a real suckout in the upper midrange. We checked everything in there, replaced drivers, looked at diffraction error...but when we measured the output of the crossover, instead of rolling off at 2500 Hz the thing rolled off at something like 1000 Hz.

After six months -- six months -- of sleuthing I finally took another look at the crossover board. And zeroed in on a film cap which was supposed to be 1uF...it was one of those with a multidigit code on it instead of simple labeling. When I measured, it was 10uF; I went out to the front of the store and looked into the bin, and there were still several 10uF caps in the 1uF bin. Which, unless you paid close attention to the code...I wonder how many other people built bizarre-sounding speakers because those caps were in the wrong bin.

Anyway, the speakers sounded great once we put the right caps in, and I got done kicking myself.

Peace,
Paul

[quote author="Viitalahde"]While we're on the stupid questions roll, doesn't the same equation apply to calculating feedback compensation capacitors in op-amps too? At least I've used it. [/quote]

Yep. C = 1 / (2 * pi * R * F)

where C is in farads, R is in ohms and F is in Hz. And pi is in the face.

Peace,
Paul

One caveat there: the term "compensation".

If the amp is unity-gain stable and has zero input C, then the use of the C across the feedback R works like that to set high-frequency rolloff. In the noninverting config it only rolls off to unity gain, in inverting it keeps going as the freq goes up.

There are other situations for using the feedback C, such as when the feedback R's are large and interact with the input C of the op amp to cause peaking or oscillation. Then a little feedback C will counteract this effect, but the closed-loop frequency response will not be given by the formula.

There are also situations where the overall closed-loop response can be improved by use of the feedback C and it is not per se just rolling off highs. There's a good discussion in Feucht, Handbook of Analog Circuit Design, which has a lot of other good stuff besides. Last I looked it was out of print, but I think there was a CD available.

We're not worthy!

notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif
notworthy.gif

:green:

Keef

Latest posts