Ribbon mic:how to solder a ribbon? chemicals? flux? asprin?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToobieSnack

hi all
it has been discussed, in some limited detail, on how to solder a thin peice of aluminium ribbon foil...
I have seen other discussions with details "over my head" but...
not really a... definitive, complete "step by step" discription is available here currently.....

Can anyone offer different techniques and/or supporting data for the purpose of soldering aluminium ribbon material?

As alway your kind comments help and suggestions are sincerely appreciated.
thanks
ts

I saw a rather clever (well, I thought it was clever!) use of thick fiberglass PCB material... I reckon that you could solder to the copper on the PC stock and clamp it between two bits of PCB. You can etch/scratch/cut breaks in to stop a complete bypass circuit if necessary...

Keith

OK

the reason why I do not want to use clamps only is: xvlk has done considerable research on this subject.

noise is created in a clamped ribbon. (like a 1 ohm resistor)
he states that the only way he has found to resolve this is to solder directly to the ribbon... i think the thread is "ribbon clamp noise figures....xxxxx" something like that..

I curently have brass clamps

I let one of my ribbons overhang from the other end of the clamp and I would like to solder it with a small trace from the brass clamp. I would have let both sides over hang but didn't fore see the possibility.

ther is a way to do this i just need it explained to me....please.. :grin:

thanks
ts

Soldering aluminum is not an easy thing to do; special fluxes are required and typically the aluminum oxide needs to be reduced by scraping the aluminum immediately before soldering. It oxidizes instantly in air. If it could be cleaned and soldered in a chamber with argon gas some success might be had. This doesn't take into account the fragile nature of the material thickness. This is a whole other additional problem - how not to deform or tear it while soldering.

thanks bill

there is a pic here on the forum of a soldered ribbon somewhere

so i know it can be done

there was talk about asprin and some other flux types and lots of different chemical I was unfamiliar with....where would these chemicals even be purchased?

also xvlk talked of a chemical reaction copper/gold plating process that was under consideration.

I'm gonna try out a few theories of my own and get back with everyone

but anyone with experience please post your experiences..

thaks
ts

OK ... i searched and found the thread that I saw some info in
look here:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5923

anyone know the answers to my questions there?
thanks
ts

There is a high conductivity silver glue (made by Loctite, IIRC). A relative of mine uses that for the scientific instruments he builds. I assume this would be perfect for this application, but it's rather expensive. 50$ or so for 2 g.

Samuel

There is a special paste called 'Solder it', intended for aluminum soldering. It has low soldering temperature. I tried it and it works fine with ribbons. You can find it here:

http://www.solder-it.com/solderpaste.asp

Scroll down to part ALP-21.

Marik....."i love ya man"!!!

:sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam: :sam:

you have been so helpful through all my efforts

one more example of a what a wonderful person you are!!! :wink: :grin:

great way to put a definitive complete reference for this subject for all to benifit from...

1000 thanks form me.... and I'm sure there are many more who will sincerely appreciate your efforts..

later
ts

[quote author="Marik"]There is a special paste called 'Solder it', intended for aluminum soldering. [/quote]
I can not explain, how you solder ribbon with any paste.
You can not put nothing onto the ribbon, it is fragile !!! You can not
breathe if you solder it. Only capilature and liquid HF mixture.

OR, are you put paste onto the wire to whom ribbon wil be soldered
(exactly, how I use liquid ???)

thanx,
xvlk

Latest posts

Back