Green Pre Capacitors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basherman

Hi,

My first post here, but I've been using the forum for a while now. Just wanted to say the info and advice here is awesome - it's answered almost every question I've had so far. :thumb:

That said, I'm 90% of the way through my first green pre channel (V14 - PeterC's board) and have finally gotten stuck. My question is, the BOM calls for three 47uf/63v caps and has the designation for them as C32, C33 but I can't seem to find where this corresponds on the schem or layout. Where do these caps go? Do I possibly need more than three 47uf/63v caps? For the other 47uf caps I've use 47uf/25v.

Thanks very much,

Barry

Hey Barry,

Welcome and nice to see another South African on the board!

To answer your question the 3 places you need those caps are the 47uF spots marked on either side of the 3 pin connector at the back of the board ( the opposite end of the switches, which I deem the front) and the other 47uF/63V goes just behind the 4700uF cap at the back of the board.

Hope that all makes sense, shout if it doesn't, and yes you are fine with the other 47uF's being 25V. I've done that on all 4 of my Greens and they are rocking.

You will LOVE the Green when it is done, amazing value for money.

Cheers

Matt

Matt,

Wow that was a quick reply! Thank you very much, it makes perfect sense. It's really cool having the local connection - it's partly what inspired me to take this on in the first place, and I've loved every minute. Thanks for setting up the green-pre meta btw it's really helped me a lot. :thumb:

All the best,

Barry

Hi Barry,

It is a pleasure, glad to be of some help. I started the Meta, at the time I knew very little to nothing about electronics and it was my contribution to the forum, I'm glad it has come in handy.

All the best with wrapping up the Pre, post some pics when you are done and let us know your thoughts.

Cheers

Matt

For info - I am using my current build of the green to have a play around with different types of caps that I have lying around in my spares box

Wima MKS metalised Polys for the 100nf
Elma Silmics for the 47uf/63v
Some wierd oldish Roederstein )with German/European fonts) gold coloured Axial for the 47uf/25v
For the 10ufs I am using Kemet Tantalums

I've got a question for you all. I'm currently building my first DIY thing ever and its a green pre :cool:
Reading the BOM from Peter I see that there should be three 47uf/63v (the first post in this thread was great for figuring out where they should be) and seven others. I've got 47uf/25v for the seven others. This is where I'm gettin confused :?:
Lookin at the pcb I count too ten 47uf/25v instead of seven? There must be something I'm not gettin or should there be ten?!
As I mentioned I'm new too all this electronics and would really appreciate a little help on this.

Hi!
Can I obtain any improvements using bipolar caps in the signal path instead the classic electrolytics?
What is the physical effect of the bipolar capacitors in the sound?

In my green pre I'm using low ESR electrolytics with wima FKP and it sounds good.

Thanks!
Valerio

Latest posts

Back