Are all ADC 1/4" patch bays considered longframe (bantam)?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

What is the difference, in regards to the female patch receptacle? TRS vs. longframe? Is there any? I understand the male plug differs. But I can't tell the difference in regards to ADC patch bays on ebay. Some list as "longframe" and some don't. Not sure if ADC always used the same female jacks in all their 1/4" patch bays or what. I imagine some folks who've wired up a bunch of studios 'round here might know (???)

A standard 1/4 trs cable aka a-gauge will not completely fit into a b-gauge patchbay. It sticks out a little, but it will make contact with hot cold and ground. If you force it, can risk damage to the patch point.
Best to do it properly and use the right cable. I have a lot of a-gauge trs to b-gauge cables from an old studio job.

TL;DR

1. Yes, there is a difference.
2. ADC uses longframe females for longframe male and 1/4" females for 1/4" males. They don't mix the two.

Or Longer....

Ditto.

The 'B-Guage', longframe (Bantam), and Mil-Spec, as it's often called, is slightly different. Like a 1/4" TRS is the big version of the 3.5mm/1/8" connector (you know, the ones you have on your phone or Walkman. Oh, right... the Walkman is what people used to listen to music while not at home, sort of like a iPod but WAY less useful:)), the Mil-Spec TRS is the big version of the TT connection*.

Mil-Spec has a small, bulbous tip with slightly different spacing for the ring and ground from the 1/4" TRS. I have used 1/4" TRS in Mil-Spec bays, but it's wasn't a good idea. I've also done the opposite which is an even worse idea. Like @punho812 said, it will work, but you should really get the right connector.

ADC uses different female connectors for different males. The difference isn't major, but it's enough to keep the one type of male from working in the other type of female.

If you are looking to buy Longframe bays, make sure that the listing states that it is Mil-Spec, Longframe, or Bantam. Also, most Longframe bays are 48 or 52 points (24 or 26 X 2).

I like the Longframe bays. Just feels like a more solid connection. It probably not any different electronically, but we all know it's about the feel, not the facts.

41778.jpg

stereo-jack-connector.jpg

*Description used for clarification. Dimensions and ratios are not exactly 1:1, but you get the idea.

Back