B&H Photo and Video flagrantly buying/botting Subscribers, Followers, Likes, and Reviews

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just thought it would be funny to share the most obvious instance of somebody buying Youtube Subscribers and Views that I have ever seen. I was browsing videos on the Sony C-80, and I came across their channel and was so surprised when I saw their stats. Their Youtube channel has 929,000 subscribers, but averages 5k views per video. They have 6 videos over 10 million views, with one having 66 million views but having only 3.6k likes and 586 comments. I wouldn't be surprised if they bought the comments as well, because they just don't care. Granted, this is nowhere near close to the level of sellers on Amazon who buy 5 star reviews, but honestly I was more amused than appalled.

B&H Photo/Video is a retailer/distributor for many electronics, including pro audio gear, and I don't think anyone here actually uses them, but their company apparently makes more than 100 million USD, so they aren't exactly small. Their Wikipedia page also claims some interesting things about B&H, but those are actually serious and I can't verify that they are true. What I can do is laugh at the idea that 20 million people would watch a generic customer support story that was not in any way, shape, or form made up to promote the company.

Happy New Years! Hopefully this situation got a laugh from you and brightened your day.

Edit 1-8-2024:

A quick Google Search of B&H Photo brings you to a Twitter/X account with 492K Followers but averaging only 5 Likes per tweet, a Facebook account with 911K followers and 888K likes averaging only 3 comments per post, and an Instagram account with 547K Followers but averaging only 1k likes per post. I can't say whether or not they buy reviews off of every site, but on TrustPilot B&H has 307,471 Reviews averaging 4.9/5 Stars, and while TrustPilot is well known as a corrupt website, the sheer number of reviews that B&H has is a different level of absurdity because they have more than 2x the reviews of Amazon (aggregate of ~70k for all region specific sites), eBay (aggregate of ~50K for all region specific sites), and Walmart (aggregate of ~20K for all region specific sites) combined. On ShopperApproved, B&H has 786,515 Reviews averaging 4.9/5 Stars, and while ShopperApproved is another corrupt reputation management website, the numbers themselves are absolutely insane.

It's at the point where it becomes comical on how B&H blatantly buys their promotion because of the ridiculousness of it all, they don't even try to hide it. Whether or not B&H's buying experiences are great, this particular aspect of their business model is so funny.

Attachments

• B&H.PNG
    B&H.PNG
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4k likes.PNG
    4k likes.PNG
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • BandH.PNG
    BandH.PNG
    88 KB · Views: 0
  • Twitter BandH.PNG
    Twitter BandH.PNG
    639.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Facebook BandH.PNG
    Facebook BandH.PNG
    600.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Instagram BandH.PNG
    Instagram BandH.PNG
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ShopperApproved.PNG
    ShopperApproved.PNG
    109.5 KB · Views: 0
  • TrustPilot BandH.PNG
    TrustPilot BandH.PNG
    165.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TrustPilot Amazon.PNG
    TrustPilot Amazon.PNG
    373.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TrustPilot eBay.PNG
    TrustPilot eBay.PNG
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • TrustPilot Walmart.PNG
    TrustPilot Walmart.PNG
    483.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I use them when I need something they have. They are local so UPS ground shipping is next day. They also have a brick and mortar store. When I needed some video stuff, which I know nothing about, like a tripod, I could go there and see a bunch of choices.

I've purchased from them many times over the past several years. Apple products, Tascam products, Canon cameras, Samsung TVs. Good prices, quick shipping and never any problems.

Last edited:
Buying bots aside, they're actually pretty great. Early last year I sent an email on a whim to offer $700 for an open box item listed for $1200, providing my justification as to why that seemed a fair price. They replied with a purchase link at that price and I instantly bought it. That was the most pleasant haggling experience I've had ;)

Edit: Well, after reading said wiki I'll amend my "they're actually pretty great" to "I've had pretty great buying experiences with them"

It's been at least a dozen years since I did significant business with B&H (pro audio and video equipment purchases). But they had good prices, inventory and service at that time.

Bri

Buying bots aside, they're actually pretty great.
Honestly, whether or not I agree with the botting, I can understand why they value social media influence alot, because a lot of people tend to gravitate towards "popular" brands as if their level of following somehow validates their quality.

A quick Google Search of B&H Photo brings you to a Twitter/X account with 492K Followers but averaging only 5 Likes per tweet, a Facebook account with 911K followers and 888K likes averaging only 3 comments per post, and an Instagram account with 547K Followers but averaging only 1k likes per post. I can't say whether or not they buy reviews off of every site, but on TrustPilot B&H has 307,471 Reviews averaging 4.9/5 Stars, and while TrustPilot is well known as a corrupt website, the sheer number of reviews that B&H has is a different level of absurdity because they have more than 2x the reviews of Amazon (aggregate of ~70k for all region specific sites), eBay (aggregate of ~50K for all region specific sites), and Walmart (aggregate of ~20K for all region specific sites) combined. On ShopperApproved, B&H has 786,515 Reviews averaging 4.9/5 Stars, and while ShopperApproved is another corrupt reputation management website, the numbers themselves are absolutely insane.

It's at the point where it becomes comical on how B&H blatantly buys their promotion because of the ridiculousness of it all, they don't even try to hide it. Whether or not B&H's buying experiences are great, this particular aspect of their business model is so funny.

Attachments

• TrustPilot Walmart.PNG
    TrustPilot Walmart.PNG
    483.4 KB · Views: 0
  • TrustPilot eBay.PNG
    TrustPilot eBay.PNG
    49.5 KB · Views: 0
  • TrustPilot Amazon.PNG
    TrustPilot Amazon.PNG
    373.6 KB · Views: 0
  • TrustPilot BandH.PNG
    TrustPilot BandH.PNG
    165.6 KB · Views: 0
  • ShopperApproved.PNG
    ShopperApproved.PNG
    109.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Instagram BandH.PNG
    Instagram BandH.PNG
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Facebook BandH.PNG
    Facebook BandH.PNG
    600.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Twitter BandH.PNG
    Twitter BandH.PNG
    639.9 KB · Views: 0
B&H blatantly buys their promotion
I can tell you that they certainly tempt actual customers into reviewing service. "Review your recent transaction for a chance to win a $250 gift certificate!" I have done business recently with B&H, & I confess I am probably responsible for at least 2 of the glowing reviews.

web merchandising is funny, not hahah funny, but used cars, snake oil funny.

I just got off a chat with amazon customer service over a shorted delivery. The chat agent was ironically name "Walay" , at least they have a sense of humor. 🤔

JR

Latest posts

Back