Behringer Composer MDX 2100

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephen.fromage

Hi all, I'm replacing a rotary 20k potentiometer in a Behringer Composer MDX 2100 and noticed that the existing controls are multi-detent. I can't find any suitable replacements and would appreciate any advice confirming that the detents are purely for 'feel' and have no actual function.

I've found sheet 1 and 3 of a schematic for the MDX 2100 in the technical documents from (thanks member Kooma), but these don't have the control section of the schematic (and the gmail account looks to be long gone).

Any advice on the potentiometer detent question or any pointer to a complete schematic would be very much appreciated.

Thank you all.

Detented pots are rare enough , those kinds on the behringer are pretty much unique ,although they do seem to appear across a broad range of their gear . Maybe trying to find a broken behringer unit for donor parts . I got a bunch of those detented pots out of a blown HA4000 , they were all dual wafer stereo types .

+1

Behlingel units often had these multi-detent pots. It's mainly for feel, I think, and maybe aimed at easier dual mono setup (e.g. both channels three click to the right). However, I found those detented pots to be off more often than not. Centre-detented pots might still make sense though.

Also note that their pots are PCB-mounted and therefore often need really long shafts (don't know about 2100). One way around is to mount easier to get substitute pot to the faceplate and wire it, if you don't care about look.

+1

Behlingel units often had these multi-detent pots. It's mainly for feel, I think, and maybe aimed at easier dual mono setup (e.g. both channels three click to the right). However, I found those detented pots to be off more often than not. Centre-detented pots might still make sense though.

Also note that their pots are PCB-mounted and therefore often need really long shafts (don't know about 2100). One way around is to mount easier to get substitute pot to the faceplate and wire it, if you don't care about look.
Yes 30mm shaft on face plate mount pots...which are not face plate mounted.....as you can guess, the reason why I need to replace a pot is due to it the pot snapping off it's mounting when trying to remove the plastic knob. Oh well at least I learned after my first one.

I can't work out the trend for using panel mounted potentiometers on all types of equipment without actually using mounting nuts on the face plates.
The cost of warranty work alone caused by a few knocks on control knobs must far outweigh any manufacturing savings.

If you go for a broken behringer unit for donor parts, you might want to get the same one. Pots across units (1600 versus 2100) may differ in value and better be checked beforehand.

More hacks:

Might try pot extension. Several videos on YouTube. But might require some good machining tools or dedicated clamp thing.

-------
Or could try and find a pot like this (here 1K though)
https://www.mouser.jp/ProductDetail...160KN2-0QA25B1K?qs=%2BUYXD5bnyXpybka82yi/pQ==
The pot actually looks like in picture and pins can be bent, giving an extra 5mm to the 25mm shaft length. It's a knurled shaft though and requires drilled out the inside of those knobs.

---
Or bend pins of too short-shafted pot and extend pins with thick cap leads...

Attachments

• IMG_20220221_124749~2.jpg
    IMG_20220221_124749~2.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220221_124844~2.jpg
    IMG_20220221_124844~2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220221_133702~2.jpg
    IMG_20220221_133702~2.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Latest posts