Collins 216c Recording Amplifier

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandeurloo

White Market Member
Hey guys, I have searched all over and I haven't been able to come up with a schematic or much for details about a Collins 216c-1 that a buddy just dropped off for me. He pulled it out of an attic at a AM radio station (along with a few other cool gems).

I am hoping someone here has a schematic or has a little more knowledge on it.
This is all I can find online about it. Any more info would be very helpful!

"The 216C-2 Recording Amplifier is used with the 642A-2 Recorder/Playback Unit to provide facilities for recording pre-erased tape cartridges. This unit contains preamplifiers for 600-ohm line and 250- ohm microphone inputs, input level controls, and an output amplifier. The two inputs may be mixed if desired.

Extender panels are furnished with the 216C-2 to extend the width to 19 inches for rack mounting. A VU meter on the front panel indicated the recording level. Two input level controls, one for the microphone input and one for the line input are located on the front panel. All electrical connections to the 216C-2 are made at the rear of the units.

SPECIFICATIONS Power Consumption: 125 watts.
Audio Inputs: Microphone and line, both variable gain and capable of being mixed. Microphone input 250 ohm impedance ( 50/600 ohms optional). Will accommodate input levels from — 65 dbm to — 35 dbm. Line input 600 ohm impedance ( 50/250 ohms optional). Will accommodate levels from — 15 dbm to +10 dbm.
Size: 15" or 19" W, 7" H, 133/4" D ( 38.1 cm or 48.26 cm W, 17.78 cm H, 34.93 cm D).
Weight: Approximately 15 pounds.
Mounting: 15-inch console or 19-inch rack with furnished extenders.

Part No. 522 3496 00 (Type 216C-2 Record)"

I should mention it looks to be from 1964-1966. So if anyone knows any of other Collins Preamp designs from that era that would also be helpful. I am guessing they will be very similar.

Back