DC Filament Supply questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still come up on an eBay search. All Chinese though, are they counterfeit?

Ebay
They’re usually cheap enough to buy and try - full load voltage test with varying input voltages to dropout will soon show dodgy ones. There’s no formula for spotting fakes.
Same issues will apply though with any regulator that has to dump a lot of voltage with the amount of heat they’re required to dissipate. If you got it working fine with the buck converter do you need to pursue it any further? Other than getting 6.3VDC instead of 6V.

Couldn’t hurt to have a regulator that gives exactly 6.3V DC after the buck converter rather than 6V. This system certainly covers any changes to mains voltage that could cause dropout or overheating. I’d be looking at a heatsink for the regulator regardless.

Couldn’t hurt to have a regulator that gives exactly 6.3V DC after the buck converter rather than 6V. This system certainly covers any changes to mains voltage that could cause dropout or overheating. I’d be looking at a heatsink for the regulator regardless.
Well, that does bring me to another question, now that you mention it. Why do we use 6.3VDC, when it's spec'd for 6.3VAC? Isn't the relative energy of DC much higher than the energy of AC? Meaning we get the same amount of heat with lower DC voltage than is required for AC?

Back