inventions that the world needs.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnRoberts

Staff member
GDIY Supporter
I noticed a crack in my plastic rain gauge this morning, the inevitable consequence of freezing with water inside. I did a search an found a recent patent issued to a NY state resident with a solution (maybe). He added a compressible bladder inside the rain gauge so ice can expand without breaking the outer vessel. It seems there might be a durability issue with the materials used. UV sunlight tends to break down plastics. The patent was not assigned to any company so I'll have to wait.

Another approach might be a bi-metalic metal valve that allows water to leak out below near freezing temps. Again not a trivial engineering task to make reliable.

For now I probably need to buy yet another $5 gauge and empty if before hard freezes.

JR

I think I found a freeze proof rain gauge..

24-crb.jpg

Float inside a copper cylinder.... the metal stand pokes down several feet into the ground. They claim the water can freeze inside the cylinder without damaging the gauge. The way this works it could probably be partially buried in the dirt protecting it even more from freezing.

I don't love the price ($50), but I like the concept .

JR

We've had a plastic one in the garden for ages. Freezing doesn't seem to hurt it...

Dunno if it's by design, or if it's just not cold enough here to hurt it. But it's scale isn't linear, suggesting it's not a straight cylinder, but slightly conical. In any case, it's been frozen solid several times.

I think it's polycarbonate?

over the years I have lost multiple plastic rain gauges to freezing. The last one that I liked was tapered to give expanded resolution for first inch of rain.

JR

Attachments

• rain-gauge.jpg
    rain-gauge.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 7
I have lost a few of these --- crack is clearly visible.

IMG_20220220_145444507~2.jpg
to freezes.... these are made of acrylic, weaker than polycarbonate.

I am almost tempted to stick a cheap polycarbonate gauge out in my yard to examine the scientific method with a control.

JR

Last edited:
Just like I can't predict political contests I can't predict last freezes... last weekend had mid 20s, but I am optimistic that we are ready for spring now.
==
Speaking of inventions we need... that rain gauge appears to fit the bill for a rain gauge that resists freezing damage.
=======
My next invention wish #2 is for a thermal semi-conductor. I want a heat conducting device that only flows heat in one direction, or alternately steerable between the direction of heat flow.

Peltier devices need energy to push heat across a junction so not what I'm looking for...

JR

Thanks but that sounds like the typical heat pipe... I looked that these for high power amps last century..

[edit- Heat pipe technology does indeed transfer heat in only one direction, using state change between a working fluid (from liquid to gas and back). For water this is limited to roughly 212F. I have seen some clever ceiling tiles that used a working fluid that changed state near room temperature. These ceiling tiles could capture excess heat when the room was over heated, then release that excess heat again later. /edit]

JR

Last edited:
OK here's another science factoid... I have long been a fan boy for "Far UVc" (222nM wavelength). I am still waiting for the semiconductor industry to perfect Far UVc LEDs. They have been working on it for years. UVc lamps (CFL) lose UVc output over time specifying 8-9k hours for half power. I decided to swap out the 15W UVc CFL that was well over a year old. I replaced it with a dual wavelength UVc CFL. These are called "ozone" bulbs because the other wavelength. 185nM breaks up O2 in O + O which is unstable and bonds onto O2 molecules to make O3 ( aka Ozone). Coincidently the regular UVc output of 250nM breaks down O3 into O2 again. I experimented with an ozone UVc bulb in my circulating room air blower and after a few hours the ozone level was unpleasant. I will use the Ozone bulb for disinfecting my beer making apparatus, but get another UVc only bulb.

JR

PS: The good news is that Far UVc at 222nM does not create ozone, but still not cost effective yet. (The beauty of far UVc is that 222nM is not harmful to humans so can disinfect rooms while humans are present.)

We need phones that can not just send messages, but objects as well, trow it at your phone and it will pop out at the other end.

Imagine the implications :LOL:

Back