Looking for ideas troubleshooting oscillation in console VCA circuit

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kakumei47

Hi all,

I've been doing some changes to my console (MCI528c), and experimented with swapping out the DBX 202c VCAs with DBX202x and That 2002. I made the appropriate resistor changes per the That datasheets, but I'm getting oscillation issues with 5534 opamps. There was no compensation cap in the original design w/ 5534, but I think these VCAs have higher bandwidth so the problems happens with them. I added a 22pf cap as pictured here, but still get oscillation. This happens with all the types of 5534 I tried, but I get no oscillation with opamps like the OPA 134, or MA332, which both don't need compensation caps.

Any ideas of what to try? I know SSL used the 202x a lot I think with 5534s, but I'm sure the VCA card design is a little different.

In the schematic 2003=5534, and the stock VCA is dbx202c

Including docs here. I can just use the OPA or MA332, but it's bugging me why this is happening.

Attachments

• MCI VCA board.jpg
    MCI VCA board.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 20
I referred to this doc for modifications needed for the new VCAs:

http://www.thatcorp.com/datashts/dn127.pdf

Copying the circuit for the 202x from that here too

Attachments

• 202x from That.jpg
    202x from That.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 16
Here's the SSL implementation for the 202x in the 4000 series. They use the 22pf cap (as I did in the pic, but I still get oscillation that stops if I use the caps that don't need it (ma332, opa134, etc)

I DO notice now that I didn't change the cap in the feedback loop, although I modified the resistors to do the appropriate gain staging. Could the problem be still using a 5pf cap instead of 100pf there? Not sure if that would cause this crazy oscillation...

Attachments

• SSL 202x implementation.jpg
    SSL 202x implementation.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 23
Originally the bandwidth limiting with 47k and 5pF sets in at 677kHz. If you lower the resistance the frequency will go up. So it´s quite likely that the feedback network runs into feedforward, hence oscillation.
If you redesign your feedback network to a more realistic frequency (I´ve seen mostly 150-200kHz which sets the beginning of phaseshift  in the audioband to 15-20kHz, that should not really be audible) then everything should be a lot more stable. Both That application note and SSL schematic use app. 200kHz in that spot.
f=1/(2 x Pi x R x C)

#1 the 5532 is unity gain stable while 5534 requires 22pf cap on compensation ports.

#2 the instability "may" be caused by VCA output capacitance causing lag at the opamp - input, so 100pf feedback cap is not just for bandwidth limiting, but to swamp out the input capacitance.

Caveat this is mostly a guess... I have never had a VCA oscillate on me.

JR

Thanks all! I bet that's the problem. I didn't even realize I forgot to change the 5pf to 100 until I posted here. Will change that and test.

Confirmed. Changed C1003 (the cap in the feedback) and now they work fine w 5534s. Thanks for the help all!

Latest posts

Back