Nice, cheap, easy LDC - way better than any BM700/800 mod

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
https://www.amazon.com/Coax-Seal-Moisture-Proof-Sealing/dp/B00075J4J6
Here's a cheaper one; I've used it, too. It's quite soft; no shrink-back.

Good stuff, for sure - but, ... ahem... er ... that is way too expensive for my budget. Try searching "automotive Butyl Sealant Tape, putty or rope" or some combination of these terms, and you find it for much lower cost:

https://tinyurl.com/277h9yya
https://tinyurl.com/hzz7z76n
Search similarly on eBay and elsewhere to find it for even less in smaller quantities.

Just MY take ... your mileage may vary. James

If the capsule mounting post is rotated 90 degrees in it's rubber bushing, the new capsule can be mounted in a simple loop of brass strap.

On mine I figured out that I can just push down on the shaft (& thus the bushing) to poke the bushing out the bottom of the dome (base), but...

The bushing has tabs on either side that fit into slots in the dome when you slide it back in, so it only wants to face forward or 180 degrees backward. Did you shave off those tabs and just rely on friction to keep it pointing the way you want?

Or did you actually turn the metal shaft in the rubber bushing? Mine really doesn't seem to want to turn and I'm leery of forcing it.

(I was going to just buy a JLI capsule holder to save the trouble of fabricating something, but then I realized that the screw holes under the stock holder are to either side of the capsule, rather than fore and aft, which puts them directly under the saddle, so even if I drilled my own holes in the dome to mount them to the mic, the saddle would be in the way of getting a screwdriver to them.)

Is there an inexpensive off-the-shelf capsule holder that would work in this context?

Attachments

• AKG_P120_CapsuleMountDisassembled.jpg
    AKG_P120_CapsuleMountDisassembled.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • AKG_P120_CapsuleMountTopView.jpg
    AKG_P120_CapsuleMountTopView.jpg
    290 KB · Views: 0
I tried a slightly different way of mounting one of these 25mm electrets.... Only originally as a temporary expreriment to see how it went, but 3+ years later it's still 100% OK !

2 important details:
• Rubber bands exposed to UV light will perish. ....... Keep them in the dark and they seem to survive in good condition much better.
• Super glue (cyanoacrylate) and rubber are a match made in heaven. That type of glue works really well on glueing bits of rubber together!

So - armed with a simple 'standard' LDC mount, and one of these electret capsules (which have no mounting options fitted), I bolted a small strip of neoprene to the mounting.
I took a 5mm rubber band (our postman drops one or two in the road nearby, most days! :) ) and cut it.
I then stretched the cut band round the mic capsule. Not with a great deal of tension - just enough to 'grab' the capsule. I then overlapped the 2 ends of the cut band wrapped around the capsule, and 'tacked' the overlap with a dab of super glue.... It sticks really effectively, almost instantly.
I then glued the band itself to the neoprene strip, with a couple of further dabs of super glue. Again, it stuck amost immediately.

The capsule now has a rubber mount which works quite well to keep out any mounting resonances. It's also easy to remove, if that is ever necessary...

How long is that going to last, I wondered? ... As I say, at the present it's 3+ years and counting...... Good as the day I made it - so far!

25mm.electret.rubber.mount.jpg25mm.electret.rubber.mount.rear.jpg

Last edited:
On mine I figured out that I can just push down on the shaft (& thus the bushing) to poke the bushing out the bottom of the dome (base), but...

The bushing has tabs on either side that fit into slots in the dome when you slide it back in, so it only wants to face forward or 180 degrees backward. Did you shave off those tabs and just rely on friction to keep it pointing the way you want?

Or did you actually turn the metal shaft in the rubber bushing? Mine really doesn't seem to want to turn and I'm leery of forcing it.

(I was going to just buy a JLI capsule holder to save the trouble of fabricating something, but then I realized that the screw holes under the stock holder are to either side of the capsule, rather than fore and aft, which puts them directly under the saddle, so even if I drilled my own holes in the dome to mount them to the mic, the saddle would be in the way of getting a screwdriver to them.)

Is there an inexpensive off-the-shelf capsule holder that would work in this context?
I simply twisted the metal post in the rubber mount. Don't fear the Force!

Latest posts

Back