Opinion on this deal gone wrong.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrs

Hi all.

I recently had a fault with a DIY kit I purchased and after a month or so of trying to repair it found it impossible. My major hurdle was that 2 daughter boards attached the the main board couldn't be removed without specific equipment.

I contacted the person Intending to bring this issue up but whilst describing my issue was told he would replace the board in question as he had some spare. I was naturally very impressed by this so sent it straight to him.

I received it a week later very quickly though did brush off some gruff comments about not following his instructions when sending the module. A little petty I thought. Anyway still quite impressed about 2 weeks later I got the chance to put the unit back together and worked great.

A day or two after that I received an invoice for $200 which left me a little taken back so really just hope it was in error. A week later got a reminder so I replied that it was my clear assumption that he was replacing it out of good will.

My reple back vas very aggressive siting he dosnt do work for free and I didn't show enough gratitude to him doing the work.

So a month or to later I get a follow up invoice .

The fact Is I would never have sent it to him if I knew it would cost this amount as I am not in the best of financial positions and do feel the mad some comments which show his recollection of out initial conversation wildly incorrect.

I few thoughs from other May help clear my head with this issue, your words will be respectfuly received no matter who's side is favourd.

Without knowing the exact text of your mail correspondence it will be very hard for anyone having a clear opinion.
As you know there are allways at least two sides of a story.

Cheers

When things are going well , you don't think about problems, and I forget or don't bother often , to
Get it in writing specific details about expectations , obligations & cost.
sometimes it may seem agressive to ask or maybe  " hoping " you won't get charged because you're not sure
or if you don't ask or mention it, don't want to blow it by mentioning money, on the other hand some people
hussle work and take every opportunity, but just toe mention d.i.y. suugests a wide range of experience
was this a fault of the constructor or manufacturer , was it a 300.00 kit or 800.00 kit
Any attempt to explain it ? they / he may very well be busy Good luck with it. I've spent more than 200.00
buying wrong parts over the years and although I may not have gotten help , it was my own responsibility.

I think your quite right Greg.
I'm left thinking either the fact I never contacted him withing a certain time frame after receiving it thanking him or offering money he has decided in hindsight to charge me.

Or his overly casual nature and not  mentioning money has led be mistakingly assume he was going to do it free.

Context is everything in these situations of course. If I rang my larval mechanic saying smoke was coming from my engine and he said just bring it around and well fix it I know it's going to cost me.

But if I had just had a reco engine put in and driven off with smoke coming out that exact same phrase might have me assuming they would do it as good will.

There are always two sides to any story. While I would not expect free stuff from companies, that seems like something to discuss at the time.

I used to own a kit business back in the '70-'80 and expected some fraction of kit builders to have problems. I offered a flat fee repair service (Something like $15-20)...  One kit was so screwed up, I sent him a new kit and told him to try again. He had inserted the through hole parts into the wrong side of the PCB so it would have cost me too much time and effort to correct it.

For your situation the choices look like returning the replacement parts or paying a fair price for them, maybe you can negotiate a better price, I have no idea what that should be.

Good luck.  This is why lawyers are always cheaper to use before the disagreement.

JR

One thing that is helpful from both sides involved, is keeping up communication in a clear and factual if not friendly way.
A lot of bad situations arise from both sides thinking the other is trying to wrong them.
So answering hostility with hostility is often the ´easiest´ AND worst way to solve anything short of sueing and stuff.
If you approach that seller guy like three times and he always denies you to talk, he will in no way look very good.
Hope it resolves well!

Btw. 200$ for a board sounds a bit costly?

You guys are nicer than I am...

I would never take something and fix it and "assume" that I could charge the person if I had not explicitly said that I would charge them to fix it.  The idea taht someone would randomly pull some figure out of the air and send an invoice is quite an entitled thing to do. 

I probably wouldn't handle the situation very well if I was on the receiving end of that invoice.

Clear communications are important.  Especially when money is involved.

Especially for repair , where there is some question of defect vs misuse. Unless there is a published price or a stated price then how can there be a price unless it is discussed.

However if there was even a mention of cost or payment ( especially in this loosy goosey DIY world) then I think the honorable and certainly the wise thing is to ask about it and settle beforehand or pay the piper.

My 2 cents ( no. charge!)

Thanks Guys as said there are two sides to every story and I am sure  my claim would be disputed by him.

What cannot be denied though was that he requested I send the unit and a week later phoned me to confirm my address to send back. Never was asked for money or received an invoice.

2 or 3 weeks later get an invoice and when I explained I had assumed there would not be one amongst other comments stated his disappointment that I didn't adequately thanks him or offer money.

Don't get me wrong I did thank him when I talked to him in person but maybe he wanted a grand thank you letter her or something he could put on his web store.

It's very disappointing considering he is very highly regarded in the DIY community and I would have expected a bit more professionalism.

My problem now is if I don't pay I will be ongoingly harassed .

This guy is messed up.
This is not honnest.
however you are a good guy rrs...i once offer to help a buddy in the forum and got a slap in the face... i dont trust you dude, although i got my boards from you.

rrs said:
It's very disappointing considering he is very highly regarded in the DIY community and I would have expected a bit more professionalism.

professional said:
(of a person) engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime.

My problem now is if I don't pay I will be ongoingly harassed .

You wanted professional? Well it looks like you got it. Do you know any professional plumbers or electricians, or car mechanics, who fix stuff for free?

There is cost associated with the replacement parts and repair. What may be open for debate is how much.

JR

PS: In my years of dealing with kit customers there was a tiny fraction that were dissatisfied no matter what. I had one customer who was such a complainer that I gave him a full refund of his kit purchase price. He then wrote back that I screwed him out of his labor to build the kit.  :eek:  But the customer is always right, even when....    8)

As much as possible, it helps for things to be " defined " before anything happens
so the expectations are clear, but that being too late, are you too offended for further communication?
At the least you may learn his point of view or he may change his stance understanding your position better.
I agree going in with a fist may get a fist back, so more as an inquisitive wanting to understand attitude, and maybe
he wants an apology whether or not anyone feels he deserves it, as mentioned maybe you can negotiate
something you're both satisfied with, maybe even payments if that's the hardship. Don't let it eat you up though,
just work on it without judgment best as you can .

Thanks for all the input I have contacted him ah song offering to accept equal responsibility if the miscommunication and offer to pay half.

John yes I take your words on board but there's a big difference between being " A Profesional" and " Being Profesional".

Well been a few days since I sent an email but no response. In face I never got a response when I tried contacting him after sending the module.

I'm really thinking this is going no where unfortunately ,

On purpose, it's why I include my email,
At least you've tried and that's reasonable
the benefit of doubt is that you don't always know
what else is going on, on the other side of an email.
some other problem not related to you, too many bills ......
Let it ride ? standby ? wait & see ?

Buddy treatment will get you favors and no-charges for little things. But a buddy reacts quickly with a thank you when a favor is done. And maybe one of these  :) if you're an emoticon type.  And the freebie favor giving buddy quickly hurls back your-welcomes and no-problemos and maybe one of these  ;).
Business treatment ( interchange with professional ), especially transactions over postage and not in-store, often doesn't get a thank you. Not one that's out of the way, anyway. But the thanks are the $$$$ and the your welcomes are the receipt.

It sounds to me like he was initially gonna handle it buddy style but you didn't keep your end of that deal. In other words, he's pissed you didn't thank him. So he shifted it over to business style. I get it. I'm generous when folks are friendly and grateful. I'm even more when folks are outwardly vocal about their appreciation. And a non response can all too easily be construed as ungrateful. And then I'm thinking--  Ohh, this fool thinks he's entitled to free stuff from me?

If money was intended to change hands, it should have been stated in the initial response from the supplier. Even in the friendly DIY community, this stuff needs to be handled upfront (and you should also be a good buyer and ask/offer if payment is needed). Sending an invoice after the fact is a bit schniky and slightly unprofessional (unless you filled out a credit form and have net 30 terms!  :eek: )

Business 101 guys! Hope you two can find a middle ground in all of this.

Hope so too indecline.

It's not my intention to seek things for free, I always pay when the work is done but there was no doubt this was a buddy style deal.

As to who broke the buddy code ??
Well maybe I underestimated the level of thank you required.
This guy is used to public displays of praise.

Back