RCA Deluxe Series Transformers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rackmonkey

GDIY Supporter
I picked up a couple of the chrome cased round transformers this weekend that had no useful information posted about them in the ebay listing. Based on an ancient post from EMRR that compared the relative sizes of a bunch of RCA transformers, I assumed these must have come from an RCA Deluxe series unit. I've never seen any other chrome-cased units of this size/shape anywhere else. They don't have the recessed channel in the top like Doug's units did. All the catalog pictures from the 30s/40s show that recess in the top. No identification info anywhere on them. But given that they are labelled "Load" and "Source", they're presumably audio transformers and not power transformers.

Got the whole lot, including the Daven attenuator, for $58. The audio gods were smiling on me for a change.

Any thoughts on what these might have come out of? I've looked at the 41-C, the 40-D and the 55-B, and all are reasonable candidates, I guess. Just wondering if Doug or someone else might recognize the lug configuration offhand.

Doesn't matter either way, as I'll measure them up and figure out how to use them, but just curious if anyone has any info.

Pics below.

BT

JLpMeGWh.jpg

KzfZIBth.jpg

b3ta5Tqh.jpg

Good thought. Could be, but I don't see any test sets in the Deluxe line or any with those chrome cases in the catalogs. It's that fancy chrome case that didn't seem to be used anywhere but in the high end RCA stuff that has me thinking it must be from one of those units.

Those are from a Daven transmission test set.  They are chrome too, as are a bunch of Scott radio. 

So you're saying the audio gods left a burning bag with a steaming pile in it on my porch?

I figured you if anyone would know. Thanks for the info.

Interested to check them out, even if they aren't the score I was hoping for.  For that price, it was worth a shot.

Mike, good call earlier!

BT

Latest posts

Back