Repurposing a swinging input EQ PCB for an API 553 based EQ

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vyvyan

I'm repurposing Yamaha m916 channel PCBs trying t build some API style line/EQ modules. The PCBs will be completely stripped of unused parts. Also will be using the m916 PSU (+/-25v) some Yamaha 2520 copies and some iron age audio M2 opamps. I have attached schematics/datasheet.

The Yamaha has a HPF that I'd like to keep in tact if possible, it also uses 50k center detent pots, could I use these in place of the 10k pots?

The low and mids are also selectable, I have plenty of quality inductor values and capacitors at my disposal so I'd like to keep them selectable but LRC based.

Also will be feeding this line level inputs so was wondering if I could possibly throw a 10k:10k transformer on the input since I have a few lying around.Not sure how to calculate the input impedance of the API 553. The schematic is a bit confusing and not sure of the gain trim pots value or it's affects on impedance.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. I kind of understand how to calculate for center frequency using online calculators given the inductor values I have but don't really understand choosing resistance values or what I'm really trying to aim for with the results of the calculations like I can figure how to achieve a certain frequency, but don't know what q value to shoot for or any of the other parameters the calculations give me. Need to wrap my head around how the impedance of the circuit is determined and proper feedback resistance for the make up amp.

I've built PTP tube amps and have built/modded quite a few discrete circuits and have learned a lot over the past couple of years, but I still have a lot to learn so I apologize if these questions seems idiotic, I'm still a noob lol

M916 EQ part 2
Screenshot_20230803-145212.png
M916 EQ part 1
Screenshot_20230803-145143.png
API 553

api-553 (1).png
M916 PSU
Screenshot_20230803-152554.png

Attachments

• M2 Description (1).pdf
    122.5 KB · Views: 1
You should really make a document with those schematics, I was trying to visualize them, but they are a mess to navigate, and having them scattered around is not something that many are willing to spend time to put it all together

You should really make a document with those schematics, I was trying to visualize them, but they are a mess to navigate, and having them scattered around is not something that many are willing to spend time to put it all together
makes sense. i was just using screenshot on my phone. ill see what i can get together when im at my computer

Back