Ribbon Mic Transformer Permeability

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomerttb

Hi,
I'm currently in the process of learning and designing a ribbon microphone transformer, and I have a few questions related to permeability.
  1. Permeability Value:
    • Is there a recommended or commonly used permeability value for ribbon microphone transformers?
    • If so, could you provide a suggested range or value to guide my design process?
  2. Core Materials and Permeability:
    • Does the choice of core material impact the desired permeability value?
    • For instance, if I opt for Amorphous metal as the core material, should the permeability be within a specific range (let's say, X)?
    • Similarly, if Nickel is chosen as the core material, is there a different recommended permeability value (Y)?
Any insights or guidance you can offer would be great.

Thanks

For ribbon transformers you'd want the permeability as high as it is possible, so for given inductance you get less turns=lower winding DCR=lower Noise and higher output... and we want to squeeze out every last dB of that. A ribbon wound toroidal core is the most efficient and doesn't have an air gap. Amorphous materials permeability is quite a bit higher than 80% Ni. The good thing here because of very low signal you don't have to worry about overloading. So the Amorphous ribbon wound toroidal core it is. If stuck with 80%Ni at least make it UI, use as thick as possible Pri wire you can fit.

Last edited:
Wow that was frickin incredible Marik! Completely awesome!
Tendons of steel, thank you!
For a moment there I thought you had posted an Igor Stravinsky video. (neoclassical period of course)

Last edited:
Wow that was frickin incredible Marik! Completely awesome!
Tendons of steel, thank you!
For a moment there I thought you had posted an Igor Stravinsky video. (neoclassical period of course)
Thank you, CJ!

And yes, I play Stravinsky too. Concerto for piano and woodwinds, Tango, Petrushka, as well as with violin Chanson Russe, Dance Russe, and Divirtimento.

Best, M

@Marik do you happen to know what mics (yours?) were used for the audio feed for these great performances?
BTW, the proverbial check is in the mail...

Latest posts

Back