• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold RIP: Matador/Chunger Universal (C12) PSU PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roman Beilharz

Hi guys,

as I had bought two parts-only sets by another member assuming I would easily get Matachung's latest Universal tube mic PSU PCBs (V1.3/4/5) as shown in this thread
Official Universal Passive Tube PSU Thread

to complete my builds, I am now in the situation that Chunger ran out of stock and I can't get my PSU builds done (HQ case and transformer in place already, all nuts seated where they are supposed to be).

SO: WHEN YOU HAPPEN TO HAVE ONE OF THOSE PCBs SITTING ON YOUR SHELF, I'D BE WILLING TO PAY TWICE THE ORIGINAL PRICE: $30 plus shipping.

Thanks

Ro

Last edited:
Solved! TLRT has an alternative PCB using the same BOM as chunger. I'll keep you posted how it goes, but it looks promising.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion; well, the thing is, I have bought and custom prepared a very similar housing/case including mains and 115/220 V switch incorporating a manually shielded toroid power transformer on a vertical mounting bracket hicking up not only B+ and H+ but also a third 5V rail for my custom relais switching (el. separation of rear capsule diaphragm). Everything has been carefully designed around the Matachung PCB. My original PCB - and the one Thomann is using - is pretty much square and doesn't fit into the darn thing together with the toroid. And the original/cheapo power transformer is hissing/humming - headaches 🤯

This has been sorted: TLRT has an alternative PCB using the same BOM as chunger. I'll keep you posted how it goes, but it looks promising.

RIP is for peoples, not for things, this was disrespectful for them...

...in english everythibg is possiblle....my appologize didnt know that.

Last edited:
You don’t say whereabouts you are, but if you’re stuck you could just get one of these:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/the_t.bone_psu_retro_tube_ii.htm?reload=1
They work great for most mics and are easily modded.
I just completed a pair of Dan’s (poctop) D-67’s …

I opted to use two of Matador’s Universal Tube PSU PCB’s (with R1 & R2 switched to 18K) in the Thomann t.bone PSU Retro Tube II cases …

Since the 67’s have manual pattern switching … I removed the 9 position pattern switch …

This is a great combination of PSU PCB’s (Matador) and enclosures (Thomann) …

My only issue is that I had to cut Matador’s fuse holder ear of his PCB’s in half to fit them in the Thomann enclosures (which have a fuse built into the power cord receptacles) … sorry, Matador !!!

This is NOT the time to ask … but maybe a future Matador revision could be a smaller rectangular board with the fuse holder mount omitted, which would allow to fit better in space challenged enclosures … just a thought …

Attachments

• IMG_0633.jpeg
    IMG_0633.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I just completed a pair of Dan’s (poctop) D-67’s …

I opted to use two of Matador’s Universal Tube PSU PCB’s (with R1 & R2 switched to 18K) in the Thomann t.bone PSU Retro Tube II cases …

Since the 67’s have manual pattern switching … I removed the 9 position pattern switch …

This is a great combination of PSU PCB’s (Matador) and enclosures (Thomann) …

My only issue is that I had to cut Matador’s fuse holder ear of his PCB’s in half to fit them in the Thomann enclosures (which have a fuse built into the power cord receptacles) … sorry, Matador !!!

This is NOT the time to ask … but maybe a future Matador revision could be a smaller rectangular board with the fuse holder mount omitted, which would allow to fit better in space challenged enclosures … just a thought …
Hey Jeff, looks nice and clean, thank you! Have those black L-brackets holding the PCB been part of the original t.Bone hardware?

Hey Jeff, looks nice and clean, thank you! Have those black L-brackets holding the PCB been part of the original t.Bone hardware?
Thank you, Roman!
I found them on Amazon:
KUMGROT 10pcs L Bracket Corner... Amazon.com

It was a bit of a tight surgical procedure to fit everything … but I connected a 67 to each supply … let them burn in for about an hour … then used the trimmers to dial in B+ and Heater voltages before final mounting of the PCB’s …

I will periodically check the voltages … and it will be a bit easier to access the trimmer pots now that I have done it !!!

It is a very nice and cost effective solution … and I really love Matador’s Universal Tube PSU …

I did feel a bit guilty about having to physically cut off the fuse holder section of the board to fit it… but the t.bone is internally fused on the AC power connector (accessible on the outside of the case) …

Best regards and Happy 2024 !!!

Latest posts

Back