Rode NT1 5th Gen...32 bit float...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iomegaman

GDIY Supporter
So I've been wanting to step (cheaply) into the 32 bit float waters and see what is possible...looked at the Zoom UAC 232 which is around $199 USD...it has 2 channels but it just looked kinda cheaply made and every review said as much...for another $70 I could pick up a new Rode NT1...which overall I have always likes as a general LC mic...

So I picked one up and tested it out tonite...

I'm on a mac (M2 MBP 14") so I had to go into audio/midi setup and create an aggregate device for ProTools (Logic will not do 32 bit Float, go figure)...

It requires a USB-C port which is basically all Apple provides anymore so we're good (I plugged it in to my Razor hub and there were no issues with it being an aggregate device with my Apollo Twin which is thunderbolt on the same hub...science is cool)

Set it up on a mic stand picked up an acoustic and hit record (once I created a 32 bit project on PT)...

This might be a game changer...it affords you to simply set the volume of the mic in audio/midi set up and hit record...you CANNOT clip the mic and if you do, you just render it back down and its clear as a bell...on the other end say you've recorded at too low a volume, you can simply hit "render" in audio suite and bring it up to whatever you want...

Just for giggles I set the mic volume until I was hitting red the entire time in PT record...stopped recording, rendered it at 50% and it was perfectly fine...no distortion, no clipping nothing...

From what I understand they are using 2 DACs one on the high end and one on the low end of gain...so you can basically pick anything in between and you're fine...

Granted the NT1 is not a tube or super smooth mic, for many things though (stick it in front of an amp or a quiet singer) it will record amazingly well...
For $270 USD you can get a really painless decent sounding mic and use it in quite a few DAWS to serious advantage.

I think it bodes well for the future....I for one am all in for our techy overlords...

Thoughts?

It's been discussed toward the end of this thread here a little bit :)

https://groupdiy.com/threads/rode-nt1-kit-the-black-one-mods.77086/
If actual mic quality or characteristics are of any concern, a separate 32-bit recorder/interface paired with any mic(s) of your choice would likely be a better and more flexible option (indoor, outdoor, purpose, etc.). As tech progresses not only in 32-bit implementation, you wouldn't need to change the mic, only the recorder/interface/software. As you say, if a tube or super smooth mic would be your desire, then a separate 32-bit capable recorder would be the way to go. At least until more 32-bit microphone options come to market that would fill your particular needs and wants.

As for self-contained recorders (that can also work as a USB interface), have a look at things like the Zoom F3 on the cheaper end, and something like the Sound Devices MixPre II series on the higher end. There are plenty of Zoom and Sound Devices models under $1000 that could work well for you over the years to come. As for pure interfaces, I'm not well-versed enough to make any suggestions there.

An all-in-one solution like the new NT1 is certainly convenient and of excellent quality if at least nothing has changed from the black NT1. But, depending on your needs and usage, it could be limiting.

Ultimately it would depend on your needs and how much you foresee them changing:)

Couple of days ago i bought, out of curiosity, one of those NT1 5th gen.

Quite a nice bundle, with a decent spider and pop shield. The "Made in Australia" and "10 Years warranty" is, in my opinion a big selling point.
The 3m USB cable is a great addition.

On the other hand the pouch they provide for the mic is just a joke. It is not long enough to fit the mic. The absence of a proper case (as an extra purchase, i don't expect a case at this price) shall be a point of concern for people who use their mics either on the road or they exchange them frequently on the stand.

The microphone is very light (even though i read the specs prior purchasing i could not image how light it is for an LDC). The slightest touch/hit/scratch on the body is amplified and transferred to the signal. The black one that i bought is a major fingerprint magnet.

I work on a windoze machine with Studio One 6 as my main DAW and the software setup and DAW integration was without issues.

As an XLR microphone -to my ears- is a pretty well sounding mic but that is my subjective opinion. It is very clean and not harsh at all. Perhaps too clean for some used in valve electronics and their euphonic distortion. I personally prefer the cleanliness of piritium!

As a USB 32bit mic is quite impressive. I record a lots of teen extreme metal and punk bands from the neighboring university, so clipping the signal is quite easy with the "rebel youth" and a constant headache. As someone suggested there is a good possibility to serve as an amp cabinet mic but i liked it on vocals too.

The big -major- con is that you cannot monitor properly. The latency while operating on USB is high and there is an annoying amount of delay.
If they fix that there is no reason to complain.

I believe that it is a very usable and a good value microphone for what it offers.

Latest posts

Back