Sky mic guy from Texas USA

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnt

Hi all, I've lurked but not properly introduced myself. As a harmonica player I like old tube amps, Rochelle-salt mics, and have done some mods.

Lately, I've been ear-birding. In the spring and fall of this and last year, friends and I recorded sounds of spring and fall migrants in the Texas night sky, their nocturnal flight calls. NFC may last a fraction of a second, repeat every few seconds, have a frequency of 8 (5-10) kHz and a loudness of 60 (50-90) dB at 1 meter. Doppler radar results show that Birds migrate over Texas at a median altitude of about 1,000 meters (up to 3,000 meters), so as I figure by the inverse square law a calling bird at that altitude will result in a sound pressure of only about -60 dB at the ground. Yikes. I'd like NFC signals to be at minimum 10X over mic/preamp/ADC self-noise, so it seems our listening stations should at worse have -80 dB self noise in the relevant frequency range.

Competing noise (highways, HVAC units, insects, resident birds) must also be quite low. A shotgun mic helped reduce noise. So did a DIY beamforming condenser array -- a revised one is on the bench. I'm dubious about these approaches and favor acoustic concentration, geometric amplification, as gotten for instance by parabolic dish and exponential and linear horn microphones.

So, my DIY interest is now mostly about acoustic concentrators, very low noise preamp/ADC electronics, weather/water/theft proofing, and how we can maintain a few listening stations remotely, without evening and morning visits to swap mem cards, batteries, etc.

Thanks,
-John Thaden

From the "this just popped into my head and so it has to come out of my mouth" category: Have you thought about making some sort of "parabolic kite?" I don't know such a thing exists, that it would work, that it would be useful... But suddenly the idea of a flying parabolic microphone appeared to me and I think it's an interesting (and probably not practical) idea that if it worked could be used as it is elsewhere -- to get sound at a distance, but closer to your subject than what you have now.

Or a tethered balloon as suggested just yesterday by my savvy son-in-law, have the ADC with the mic, send digital through lightweight fiber optic cable. The limitation seems to be federal ordinances on balloons and kites. These are more relaxed for existing structures, like radio towers.

Latest posts

Back