software to design PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierrer

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and to the DIY world, and I start here with a question that might seem trivial to most of you.

I am looking to design my own PCBs and then produce them myself, it is something I did as a student but have not done for quite a while. I remember the process that we followed :
- first design the schematic in a software which would then generate a footprint for all components and line where connections were required (we called it "chevelu" - I studied in France, what would it be called in English?)
- second disentangle it all as best as we could while drawing connections as we went along to finally obtain the final PCB layout.

My main question is which software would you suggest that I use ?

I would like a free one, or at least pretty cheap, and the projects I would design would be analogue audio equipment. I would rather prefer a platform where it is possible to download component footprints libraries rather than having to design them myself, but it is best if the later is possible too in case I need to use very specific components.

Thanks to everyone willing to input opinions as to available options, pros & cons, etc.,
Pierre.

ps : I have quickly researched the forum prior to posting this and hope I have note missed a previous topic where this would have been discussed ; I also hope that I have posted my topic in the correct sub-forum.

(I forgot to mention - so far, I believe that my best option would be to use EAGLE PCB Design Light : http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/freeware/)

Try kicad
http://www.kicad-pcb.org/display/KICAD/KiCad+EDA+Software+Suite
(gratuit, nombre de layer illimité)

The "chevelu" is called rat's nest in english I think

Yes and maybe another advantage is that the files are plain text files, so you can open them with a text editor make some search and replace for some quick coordinates fixes for example

Latest posts

Back