SSL Channel Fuse Resistors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyhanfri

Hi All

I'm making maintenance in a new studio here in Madrid, they bought a SSL 4000G+, the whole board is working fine as far as I know, but one of the channels has blown one of the power rail fused resistors next to the edge card connector in the channel mother board.

My idea is to get a few of those resistors as I think it will be a recurrent fix, I'm even thinking in teaching their intern to do it as I'm not so happy to drive more than an hour to make a 10 minutes job.

They are rated 2A, given the voltage is +-18V, then my calculations gives me 36W, which seems way too high (the fuses itself are pretty small)

I'm wrong with the calculations maybe?

Besides that, is someone familiar with those resistors and could point me to a mouser product number or something?

Thanks in advance

"Flameproof" resistors are designed to overheat and open up harmlessly like a fuse,  without starting a fire. Typically the same size as 1/4W resistors.

You need to determine why the FP resistor opened up.

Often old school ICs would fail as a short across the rails (also if plugged in backwards  ::) ).

JR

The motherboard fuses are actually *fuses*, unlike the so-called fuses on the daughterboards which are 10 Ohm resistors.
To replace the motherboard fuses you need to buy something like these...
http://uk.farnell.com/multicomp/mcpmp-2a-250v/fuse-axial-slow-blow-2a/dp/1566019

Thanks to both  for the answers, I read somewhere about 10r resistors and I ASSumed those 2 fuses were also 10r fused resistors.

Got them in Mouser, thanks!

Hi

If this "resistor" have only fuse function, you can also try to replace them with polyfuse® (resettable fuse)
You will gain the time to change this part each time a failure occur... especially if you think it will be recurrent.

I used them extensively in a design where overload condition might happen any time, it work well !

Best
Zam

Latest posts

Back