System 5 - SC264 - Motherboard recap - Overview and mouser BOM

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GitouMan

Hi Everybody,

In attachment you can find an overview of version 1 of my recap preparation document for the motherboard of the “Euphonix System 5 - SC264 motherboard”. when testing the board at the previous owner the boot up was unstable so I thought the issue might be worn caps as this desk was used extensively at this post production venue. When opening the sc264 I indeed noticed some bulging and leaking caps. I have done a lot of succesfull recap projects in the past, however, I wouldn’t consider myself a proficient electrical engineer by any means. Regardless, I have recapped, studer multitracks, analog mixing desks and old automation PC’s (for an arcane studer A990 desk for example). So I know my limits but at the same time try to push my boundaries as much as possible.

As I’m not an expert, I would appreciate if some of you experts could spare some minutes to go over the document and see whether the choices for components made are sound.

The adaptations I did are as follows:
  1. Both 2200uf 6,3V caps are bulging on my motherboard. I exchanged them with 10V high temp versions with lowest possible ESR. Is this a reasonable approach?
  2. I did the same for the 220uF 10V caps (6pcs). However, none of them look bad at the moment
  3. many of the smd electrolytic caps have been replaced with organic polymer capacitors with low esr. There are already many polymer caps on this motherboard around the intel pentium 4 processor.
The intention of the refurbishment is to not have to touch this unit for the coming 10 years in a high use environment, so that is why I have chosen to do everything in one go instead of taking an incremental approach. Considering this mindset, are there other things you would look at if you were to refurbish a motherboard?

Following this document I intend to do the same for the DF66, the common power supplies of both rack units as well as all the controller buckets 401 | 402 | 403 | 408 and conversion units I have. By sharing these I hope to do my part in lowering the threshold to keep these units running without the need to invest time in disassembling and documenting exchange parts.

Open to any suggestions to improve on what I have at the moment

Thanks already in advance,

Geert

Attachments

• System 5 - Restoration doc - SC264 Motherboard - V1.pdf
    3.2 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back