The day the music died

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

The outlook for gigging musicians is very grim indeed just now .
While pubs have re-opened to a limited extent it doesnt include live gigs and the opening only applies to pubs that serve food , indeed food must be ordered before any drinks are served and customers are limited to under 2 hours eating/drinking time before there shown the door .

The musicians who play in wedding/show bands and pay their taxes qualify for a 350 euro a week covid payment and a one off grant of a couple of thousand euros , the ones who persisted on the rocky road of playing their own tunes have to scrape by with social welfare payments and no timeframe for gigs to come back . Aside from what covid has done ,the money a musician can earn has steadily declined over the last 30-40 years . Typically in the mid 80's a band member could expect to earn maybe 100 old pounds per night , in recent years most are lucky to get 100 euros , many accept even less . No other segment of employment has taken a similar pay cut to musicians , Ive been trying to raise awareness of this situation with my local elected representatives.

We've also had the likes of Youtube kill any earning power musicians once had from royalties , even the big players dont make much from album sales anymore , its gigs and merchandising where they earn their daily bread and now thats gone too . Many of the guys I know are getting to old now for gigs and there ending up in poverty despite having given the best years of their life to music. Very little doubt that when gigs do come back greedy pub and club owners will use covid to try and further reduce what musicians get paid . Some are busking on Facebook live for free during the covid , and while they might gain something from the exposure it wont put food on the table . Some predict it could be a year before we see gigs again  :(

Im interested to hear of any ideas, incentives or schemes put in place to help musicians ride out this storm .

Don't want to sound rude but being a musician has never been a reliable job, even more today. I'm aware that some had steady gigs but they knew that one day they could get canned or live in poverty. It's just the way it is in this business. Thats why I decided to change careers relatively early in my life, and I am glad I did, no regrets and never going back to music as a profession. Listen to your parents folks.

It's been an odd year for sure. I tour with a band I produce, and while the income from gigging isn't the majority of my income it has certainly hurt to lose every date since February. Personally, I've been incredibly blessed with more studio work since May. I think a lot of that stems from making sure folks understand that I have even more time to record and mix now, and as artists get more stir crazy they seem to be writing more material. I don't know your situation specifically and if you're equipped to do much from home, but finding any niche to fill through working remotely via the web has been the easiest solution for me. Hope you find something that works well for you.

user 37518 said:
Don't want to sound rude but being a musician has never been a reliable job, even more today.

It's not just about it being a hard time for musicians....it is every single part of the industry.  None of us musicians expected life to be easy, but that's not what's happening now. The entire industry (and BTW many other industries in the entire world) have been completely gutted.  It will take years to recover-for those that do recover.  A study just came out here in Austin saying that 90% of all venues are expected to be out of business by Halloween. 

Thank you Groselicain ,
yeah Im trying to drum up some recording work but getting paid for it might be difficult.
Interesting point about creativity and stir craziness , I do see a lot of despondency and disillusionment also though.
I guess one possible upside is when the venues eventually do re-open they might re-hire new people ,but again theres no timeframe

Charlie ,Ennio and Joe had a good innings and of course left a tremendous legacy to be remembered by .

Back