this might annoy you (aka: what mic project should I do?)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pixeltarian

I am not so good with electronics. I know the most basic things about electricity and that's about it - but i love to build things and am very persistant in learning as I create new things. I'm working on a housing for a lollypop style condenser mic. I've already built a ribbon and carbon mic. simple schematics for the circuitry is a big fat plus, since I can read schematics about as good as I can read french (read: somewhat educated guessing and luck).

goals...
mic type: condenser
capsule type: LDC
maximum capsule size: 45mm
usage: vocals
polar pattern: cardioid
circuit room (mic body internal usable area): 60x50mm (round)
target budget: $100 (for capsule and circuit board parts)

the first candidate I ran into was this:
http://microphone-parts.com
the RK-47 capsule. any opinions, or better alternatives to this?

housing photo:
fbd71564d5cf849fca365f4ddfbf316e.png

kazper said:
http://www.diymic.com/

I've seen that, but I'd really prefer to source the parts and build it myself.
also, my stepfather is an electrician who started out in electronics, so I'm sure he can help me a great deal.

Well, who dares wins!
I never thought I'd build a mic, but I did, all thanks to this wonderful place!
:D
Although I was aiming at quality and went with higher cost components.
For a cheap build I would look for a chinese capsule - you can probably post in the black market, something on the lines of "WTB a chinese capsule", I'm sure someone has one laying around. Then google "royer mod", there's a schematic for tube mic using a subminiature tube, which would probably be best for the tight space you have.

jackies said:
Well, who dares wins!
I never thought I'd build a mic, but I did, all thanks to this wonderful place!
:D
Although I was aiming at quality and went with higher cost components.
For a cheap build I would look for a chinese capsule - you can probably post in the black market, something on the lines of "WTB a chinese capsule", I'm sure someone has one laying around. Then google "royer mod", there's a schematic for tube mic using a subminiature tube, which would probably be best for the tight space you have.

thanks for the info.
is that avatar from the movie "bad taste" by chance?!

I was also looking at the peluso capsules. it would up my budget a bit, but it might be worth it. will I gain a lot by using specific materials in the body, like film capacitors vs. ceramic? or is that a bit over-hyped?

what if I upped my budget to 150 for the capsule? can I get out of china for $150? how super mega smart to I have to be to build a capsule from scratch?

Who makes that RK 47 capsule ? china then ?

Re uping yr budget to get out of china ....I think the Pelusos are tweaked chinas......not saying thats a bad thing Im interested too I havent heard them...

I quite like the look of those kits for the money might be a good way for you to go , learn from that up grade it and then build more of your own.......looks like the tube one is a C12 circuit copy or similar...

I'd say shoot for the G7 in a point to point... with a used CHinese capsule and you will hit your $ mark.

G7 info is found here:
http://www.gyraf.dk/gy_pd/g7/gic.htm

Edcor makes a cheap power transformer and a cheap mic transformer.
Gustav in the White Market peddles boards I believe.

how super mega smart to I have to be to build a capsule from scratch?

Smarter than a 5th grader and part machinist, part scientist, and part engineer....

Allot goes into a large diaphragm mic capsule...otherwise they would just grow on tree's.
Do your research.... (Google can be your friend) then ask questions...

$100 is not going to give many options.

The capsule and transformer if you want a transformer out will be a large part of the cost.

Transformerless might be the way to start.  You can always change the circuit later

For that budget a Oktava MK012 circuit(look for threads at this site, IMO a nice circuit) and a LD capsule might be possible.

C0G ceramic at >50VDC should be fine if you want to use ceramics in parts of the circuit

I would like to second Gus there ....I just built 2 transformerless Oktava 012 circuits couple weeks ago one in a cat food tin lollypop head the parts cost peanuts really then you spend all yr money on a lovely capsule....

Back