TLC needed for TC 1210

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

exdc

Snagged an immaculate-looking TC 1210 a year or so ago, had no time to run it through its paces. Sounded beautiful for the instant I gave it, tho it felt mechanically "finicky".

Recently I gave it the time it deserves, and discovered real problems. They may all boil down to the pots needing to be replaced. At least one (speed on ch2) works only if pushed in a bit, ie when pushed in it works, ie the dial has the same effect for each position as the dial for speed ch1, but when let go the speed goes down to nearly zero = trashed pot. And there are assorted physical weirdnesses in most of the pots, likely oxides - the unit could be 30 yrs old. Even some distortion related to one function (cannot recall which) that for my ears sounded like a popped cap, but it could just as well relate to another almost completely trashed pot. Unexpected total result as it came form a supposedly reputable studio, cost over £850, and looks immaculate externally.

Regarding pots I had thought there are liquids (ProGold, DeOxit, whatever), but the pots are older than some of my kids and probably all need replacing, aside from the one or two broken ones. Plus, on the short look-in I did, the pots appear to be sealed.

I contacted TC in Denmark, since the local TC distributor said they'd never even seen one. I expected to need replacement of all those pots and a general recap. TC was very inviting about it on the way in, so on their return authorization number I shipped it to them in Denmark. Not sure exactly why they wanted my unit or what they expected to do with it, but in retrospect the 1210 was probably never even opened, meaning they could have saved me $100 in shipping by doing this via email. Their response by mail just prior to returning it to me was essentially "we have no parts at all [!] and even if we did, a recap would require recalibration of the sub-boards, which we no longer can do". And finally, though it's been off-market for over a decade, they will essentially share no information whatsoever about working on it, not even a safe take-apart.

A while back I managed to find a list specifying the pots, so that can be solved. It's a very tight build, totally solid piece of gear, so getting in and around requires some disassembly, though in their specs for the unit they describe the boards as pluggable "for easy service" [ha ha]...

Recapping can of course be done as well - it's a mechanical and judgment matter essentially, but TC's caveat about recalibration sounds ominous. TC can keep their secret info secret, that's their perogative, but any market-related reasons for the policy is slightly ridiculous with a 30-year-old piece of gear. Plus it definitely feels like they burned me on the shipping, since they must have known they couldn't (wouldn't?) do the job before I forked out for shipping.

I'd like to find someone that can do the work and preferably a tech who has an NDA with TC for working on this potentially great piece of gear. This might not be required if you're experienced, intuitive and daring enough. And I don't care where you are, as long as you have the wherewithal. Can we do this?

And last option would be to find TC's documentation on the unit. Tips?

Any other advice? Nothing about "maybe a doorstop" thanks, at present it makes a fine doorstop.

exdc
synthesis at telia dot com

Latest posts

Back