using modern audio (power) transformer inplace of vintage originals?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mushibu09

hello,

so I want to build the Mallard 3-3 pre-amp, now the original transformers are £30 each. I have the Mallard EF86 EZ80 EL84 tubes they all pass the dud or not test.

so am I able to use the modern equivalents (by which I mean same volts and with in 10/20% tolerance to the original data sheet information?)  if so is there any suggestions on what ones?

I also want to connect it to a nixie tube VU metre using a attiny85 IC I have audio abd power (5v) going in, but I can't sus' out how to send audio back out!

EDIT! (12hrs after original posting)

so I've been looking up the original recommended power transformers, and as partridge are still trading I went there first. I found 3 possibilities; (Ill put the order code so you can search it?)
1st; 16C-MU-140
2nd; 16C-TM128
3rd; 16C-TM114

no neither is precisely what it says I need, but I am unsure if it's safe, as I've only ever bought a single toroidal before. is it safe to use one that's not 100% correct?

and I'm using an EZ80 tube (mullard) with the EL84 (Mullard) EF86 (un named)  I found a "pulled" audio transformer the gilson  recommend one on ebay (they say it works).

any advice is great or even links to other post that may have asked same/similar things.

I'm new to Tube electronics, but have an understanding of modern electronics and can build and design (music to intermediate)  circuits/schematics

Back