Voltage-Controlled Inductance via OTA's (Gyrator)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's kind of unfortunate wrt discussion here that the term "Gyrator" is widely applied to any circuit (without an inductor) that exhibits a rising impedance with frequency. It would probably be more useful to describe in terms of various types of Negative Impedance Circuits (NIC) but once terminology becomes common it's difficult to dislodge.
Ona parallel note a "Tremelo" arm on a guitar is no such thing :)

It's kind of unfortunate wrt discussion here that the term "Gyrator" is widely applied to any circuit (without an inductor) that exhibits a rising impedance with frequency.
In most cases, gyrator is used as a password destined to those who have absolutely no idea of what it is exactly. They could as well have called it totem-pole or Darlington, it would have made no difference to 99% of the population it addresses. Many people believe that a transistor is a portable wireless receiver.
It would probably be more useful to describe in terms of various types of Negative Impedance Circuits (NIC) but once terminology becomes common it's difficult to dislodge.
For people like us, who understand a bit of the subject, yes, definitely. That's why I raised the point. However, there's no commonly used word for the basic follower-with-two -caps-and -one-R simulated inductor. What about calling it an Abbey? It would not make less sense. I have used so many of them I feel entitled to own it, and take advantage of it. No?:rolleyes:
Ona parallel note a "Tremelo" arm on a guitar is no such thing :)
Sanctioned by usage and Leo's benediction. :cool:

For people like us, who understand a bit of the subject, yes, definitely. That's why I raised the point. However, there's no commonly used word for the basic follower-with-two -caps-and -one-R simulated inductor. What about calling it an Abbey? It would not make less sense. I have used so many of them I feel entitled to own it, and take advantage of it. No?:rolleyes:

Yes. Let's make it "DIY Official"
I propose the motion :)
Seconder ?

I'll probably never know, but I think you've hit it on the head: four opamps vs. only one. That's good, economical engineering.

Latest posts

Back