Vu Meter Scaling and Calibration

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchholtby

Hi, I'm having a surprising amount of trouble after rebiasing a tube in my circuit. The 1ma meter was previously directly connected between the tube cathode and ground, measuring changes in current. Now with a new biasing, the changes in current no longer correctly correlate with the measured Db drop. So my gain reduction meter is completely inaccurate. I decided to buffer it regardless, but after that I'm looking for an easy scaling/calibration circuit if anyone knows of one. I see something similar in the 1176 schematic. Essentially I need to turn a drop from 1.7vdc to 1vdc at the input into a drop of 8db (more specifically 245mv to 94mv) at the output. I've simulated a ton of different log/antilog circuits and maybe it's something simple that's escaping me. Any help would be much appreciated! thanks!

It may be not so simple because the logarythm scale is used in the arrow VU indicator.
The cheapest and simplest way, I think, Is to connect it in parralel to sound card input, run any measuring software like SMAART and... go on!

Hi, the people here can help you much better if you tell us which compressor/limiter it is and what has been rebiased. A schematic will also improve your chances and maybe a few good photos...good luck.
Thanks for your reply. It's a new varimu of my own design. Honestly the simplest solution is probably getting a different type of vu meter, but currently to translate the voltage from the tube into the voltage necessary on the meter follows this curve lol:

y = 0.00614957x^2 -.897851x + 98.6589

It may be not so simple because the logarythm scale is used in the arrow VU indicator.
The cheapest and simplest way, I think, Is to connect it in parralel to sound card input, run any measuring software like SMAART and... go on!
Thanks for the reply! In the end I think I've decided to include a little microcontroller to run the function I listed in my last comment? There might be a better way but I couldn't find anything concrete with an opamp stage alone

Latest posts

Back