What's in your vehicle trunk today.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of water and rust... and an old Franco Harris football card....
Gotta figure out the leak...coming from one of the body seams inside when water flows over the tail light... kinda fascinating how much water intentionally flows in and out different cavities...

Well I can see a few Tele/Tab V series danner cassettes in there ,
Two very nice small power amps or maybe high power line driving amps , a couple of pre's maybe its Altec ,not sure . Quite a hefty powersupply at the back , Dynamode Ive never heard of but it sure is a nice looking bit of kit .
Let me guess ,you tracked down an old boy with a connection to the broadcast industry , who'd been saving these things half his life , and he was so happy he found someone who knew all about the gear he was happy to let it go for a song or small money ?
I wish I had treasure like that lying around the place waiting to be picked up here in Ireland ,
the national broadcaster here was only set up in 1960 , Ive picked up a few bits from them over the years , including two Studer C37's , it was mostly UK and European equipment they used ,so not many of the great old USA marques to be found here . Ive done my fair share of hunting down old gear back in the day , mostly guitar amps ,
Theres treasure in them there hills boy' .

Last edited:
I never owned a car so never accumulated junk in the trunk . The usual middle aged spread hasnt happened me yet , I put that down to not owning a car as much as diet and moderation in all the good things , I gave up air travel around 20 years ago , not because I didnt like traveling , but because I refuse to be looked down upon by some immigration officer with about 2 brain cells to rub together , Ive met pigs with better manners than many of them .
Im no Eco warrior ,but my green credentials are impeccable ,

Good guess Tubetec.

Yes, I found and Ampex 350 - no power supply. A gates Dynamite with original power supply, the guts from a Collins 212 (3 356 mic pres, 2 program amps, and a power supply), 2 V72a's and 2 V72s, and a computerized tube tester (needs to be assembled).

This should keep me busy a few weeks.

I did some bartering with old broadcast guys (found them at a Hamfest), and a few small studios. I am doing another run in tow weeks. I hope to find as much again. Probably heading to Germany to gather gear before winter, tine to get back into that practice, depending on what is going on in Europe and where prices/exchange rates are.

Take care, everyone.

Amazing stuff Raymond ,
musicianship of that quality Im sure makes doing the sound a pure joy .

There used be tons of nice old gear around this country from the showband days but the old boys of that vintage have mostly passed away at this stage . I once got a Marshall 50W ,two Park speaker cabinets and two Reslosound ribbon mics from an accordion player , that was the guys setup up for playing the big dance halls of old ,must have sounded amazing .

I did make contact some years back with a retired technician who worked his whole life for the national broadcasting service , he had kept tons of old stuff that was heading to landfill ,
A hire company in Dublin ended up getting most of it ,including the Neve consoles , which they racked and rented the modules and the frames were cut up .

A dolly, snow shoes, a shovel, a turntable I’ve been meaning to sell, a sugowaza tree saw, leather gloves, bungee cords, rope. Mostly stuff to help with bad weather in the mountains.

A dolly, snow shoes, a shovel, a turntable I’ve been meaning to sell, a sugowaza tree saw, leather gloves, bungee cords, rope. Mostly stuff to help with bad weather in the mountains.
Very practical. I used to carry a 3lb axe, 24" folding bow saw, milsurp entrenching tool and an extensive emergency bag when I lived in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Winters could be rough with heavy rain and wind. Downed trees and slides were the most common problems. Now I live in the flats and I'm down to just an emergency compressor, socket set, basic hand tools, jumper cables, flashlight, and a moving blanket. It is better to have and not need than need and not have.

Japanese pull cut hand saws are great , much kinder to the tree when pruning .
I miss using my chainsaws a lot these days , 50 cents worth of fuel and an hour or two worth of time and I could cut enough timber to last me a week . There was always plenty of windfallen ash to be harvested in my old place ,
Before we had Tv's the radio with an open fire to look at did us just fine .

The sugowaza is an amazing saw. For trees or limbs up to 6” it’s almost as fast as a chain saw. A 4” limb is three strokes max, like butter. I love that thing.
I had a small Japanese folder at one point. Not sure where it is. The 24" bow saw can do 8-10" stuff. Narrower kerf than most other saws, so less effort (when sharp).

Back