Toroidal hook-up (Green Pre) -- Please Help --

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpd

Hello,

I was hoping someone could tell me which wires go where.
This thread gets me close. But the colors are slightly different.
http://www.groupdiy.com/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=4924&highlight=hook+toroidal&sid=6d2273a76767505f00992d4d3f9e7334

Out of one side i have 4 wires that are thick and yellow at the base and their tips are the following colors:
Yellow
Black
Red
Purple

The 4 wires on the other side are:
blue
red
brown
green

Thanks for your Help
Ryan

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?KeywordSearch

part # te62043-nd

:wink:

I did not realize there was a data sheet. :? Thanks

BUT I have no idea what i'm doing here, so i'm still a little scared i'm gonna scorch all the hard work i've put into this.

Could someone describe for, the "noob" here, where each wire goes. :oops:

:sam:
Ryan

Hi Ryan

You need 115v primary, 15-0-15 secondary.

So you need to wire the primaries in parallel, & the secondaries in series.

The details & colours are in the datasheet.

Regards
Peter

If you don't want to risk you've confused prim & sec you could feed the supposed prim with a low voltage AC source & see what comes out - if it's even (quite some) lower then it's OK, but if it's higher then you'd be glad you tested this first ! :grin:

I've tried and i'm just lacking some knowledge here.

mini_drawings.jpg

Unfortunatly this means very little to me.
I've hooked it up a few different ways.
The way i think it should go is not working, which is:

yelow and black connected together to Neutral
red and violet connected together to Hot

Green and red connect to the PCU
brown and blue connected to the PCU

Can someone save me from my confusion and tell me if i'm even close.

Ryan

rpd,

nope that connection will not give any output as the primary is not connected in any full circuit so no current will flow in the primary windings.
The following will connect the transformer as Peter C indicates with Pri=parallel & Sec=series.

Pri: yellow and red to power "neutral"
black and violet to power "hot"

This puts the primary windings in parallel.

Sec: green to one of the psu "15 inputs"
red and brown to the psu "0 input"
blue to the other psu "15 input"

This puts the secondaries in series.

Hope this helps, Peace - Out

Hi Ryan

Kingkai has given you the right connections, thanks :guinness:

Remember this is mains, which is dangerous, so approach it one step at a time.

What I do when wiring a mains transformer, is to solder the connections (as Kingkai has given you above), & before applying mains power, I hook up my signal generator to the mains transformer.

If you put 1v (at about 60Hz) onto the primary (Yellow/Red & Black/Violet), set your voltmeter to AC volts & measure across the secondaries. Each secondary should read about 130-140mV (Green - Red/Brown, & Red/Brown to Blue). Across Green-Blue should give you double, about 270mV or so.

Once I am happy with this, I connect the transformer to the mains. I have made up a mains cable with a fuse holder & 100mA fuse inline, so if there are any shorts in my transformer, the fuse will blow rather than the transformer or the house circuit breaker.

Do not connect anything to the transformer secondaries yet.

I switch on for a few seconds, & switch off. Smell for anything odd, smoke for e.g. If everything is OK, switch on again, measure the voltages on the transformer secondaries, should be a little more than 15v, around 16v with no load (PSU) connected. Be aware of any excessive heat anywhere, hot resistors or diodes, etc.

All OK? Now connect the PSU circuit to the secondaries. Switch on, switch off, smell again. Once happy, switch on again & measure to check the voltages on the outputs of the PSU.

Then connect the project to the PSU, & go through the same process again. Checking the rail voltages is the first thing to do. If your +15v or -15v (one or the other, or both) are not reading correctly, there is a problem.

Just call me Mr Cautious :wink:

Let us know how things progress.

Peter

alright!
Thanks guys! I figured i was WAY OFF!
I'm about to start this here.

One other question.
Once i have the correct voltages.
I connect the:
red and blue together then to PSU
Brown and green together then to PSU

Right?

Thanks
Ryan

Your PSU board will need three input connections from the transformer, 2 x AC & 1x GND.

The combined Red/Brown goes to GND & the Green & Blue go to the 2 AC inputs on the PSU board.

Peter

Both channels are working, but One channel burnt out a few 10R resistors around the 540C multiturn resistor. I had the TL074 in backwards. :oops:
Could this have burnt the two resistors directly above the 540C and the two to the left of it. Or should i check something else.

and should i not use this channel til i have replaced the chared resistors?

Ryan

it is 100k. Sorry it says W104 and 540C on it.
but this thing sound great! :razz:
Just gotta replace a few burnt out resistors on that one channel.
Thanks

I realize this is an old thread, but being a newbie it really helped me as I am using the same power transformer. I got +15.2, -15.2 and +49.2 for the phantom power. So I guess this is all within what is it supposed to be.

But while I learned how to hook this up correctly, I still don't grasp the why this is correct. It's just a lack of understanding about how these transformers (or any) work. Why am I connecting different wires to each other? If the wires are hooked up differently does it provide different results that could be useful on something other than the green pre PSU board?

Any tutelage would be great.

Thanks

Matt

fucanay, (I'm newb also)

this graphic might help you out:
http://www.diyfactory.com/data/transformer_connections.gif

you still may not understand how it all works but it's got some helpful examples. It shows the difference between primary in parallel (for 120v US current) vs. primary wired in series (for 240v euro current.)

It also shows how to identify the "start" of each winding which helps in visualizing how all the wires go inside the transformer.

Then the secondary wiring shows 4 distinct examples, how to do it, and what they do:

1.) Dual Isolated Secondaries
2.) Series connected 2X voltage
3.) Split secondary for bipolar power (the most often used here at theLab - it seems.)
4.) a paralleled secondary for more current.

The more you think about it, the more it makes sense. (the graphic.)
I found it enormously helpful anyway.

Kate

PS a comment about this thread - kingkai gave ryan all the info he needed. it was frustrating to see that he was about to proceed otherwise.
I connect the:
red and blue together then to PSU
Brown and green together then to PSU

Right?
whew, at least he double checked.

Back