Solid State Preamp Project, Which One?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikki

I'm getting some new mics in the next few weeks and was after a nice preamp to record quality acoustic guitar, i have valve preamps but find them a bit coloured For acoustic. Would it be a Neve type preamp or some other? If there's a complete project, please point me in the right direction
Vikki(uk) :grin: .

Green Pre
version 1 ... or the new MkII which is coming soon.

As far as I am concerned the original Green is a fine DIY project and I'm sure even when you get better units the Green will always have a place in your studio.
Simple, cheap and an excellent learning project.

A 99 based unit will also be a simple and good choice
JLM, Fabio, PeteP ... I've got a couple of layouts and power supplies ...

Keith's SSL9K micpre project could be fun ... and he has a power supply.

As far as the Neve goes ... Tim Ryan's N72 is a full kit if you want.
Following PeteP BA283 and adding a JLM switch kit is a fine idea BUT this will mean a little more work for you.

Which preamp is Tommy Tones doing is that a Neve type one, anyone built one yet? I notice there are a few PCB's as well.
Vikki(uk)

ToM's project

1081 channel strip ...
I don't think I'd recommend this just yet. We have only just started and some parts and PCB's have been ordered. This could get expensive.

ToM may still have some spares if you must join in.

I still think it best left to us crazy people. When completed the second run should be well sorted.

Tim Ryan at Seventh Circle
http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm
there is also a 99 project in there and new one on the way.

[quote author="kubi"]... , but the Neve and API clones require hard to get parts like certain trafos or OAs.[/quote]

Neve could be but we do have an option coming very soon.

As for the API312 based idea ... easy

OEP input
JLM99V or any other op-amp even a DIY Melcor1731 from Pete
JLM output trafo or one of the group buy units from Jonathan ... I think ?? It will happen again.
Are we actually saying where these came from or is it still under wraps ??

Look out here comes a shameless plug !!
http://www.jlmaudio.com/JLM99V.htm
download ALL the pdfs and the web page itself and then sit back and read.

The JLM project looks great, can't find the SSL 9k though is there a new site. Anyone know how many Australian dollars to a uk pound, is it the same as American dollars?
Vikki(uk) :grin:

Which of the above mentioned has the highest gain? I haven't got any money at all at the moment (heck, I can barely afford to breath let alone DIY) so I won't be building anything for a while, but eventually it'd be nice to have something to go with my ribbons. I need about 75dB of gain, or thereabouts. Maybe I should just stick 2 pres together? heheh

Oh yeah, it's apparently 2.56786 AUD / GBP at the moment. Check out http://www.xe.com/

Has anyone built the JLM preamp, can you reccomend it. I think i saw some pictures on one of the threads but can't find them now.

If you're looking for something un-colored, you should stay away from the Neve and API clones. I'd build either this: http://www.forsselltech.com/schematics/JE16%20Mike%20Preamp.PDF , or this: http://www.johnhardyco.com/pdf/M1_M2_M1p_20031025.pdf using either the Forssell 992 or the JH990 and a Lundahl LL1538XL input transformer. I believe this will give you the ?sound? you are searching for.

*Edited to fix link

[quote author="kubi"]Kruz' ssl9k could be a very good choice[/quote]

IT IS a great choice imho..
but.. it's not mine !!
it's keith's (ssltech) work!! i just host the page on my server.
:thumb:

Great stuff, anyone have any pcb's for the ssl? Does John Hardy sell his gear in DIY form? Could use vero for the ssl i guess, is that the complete circuit does it need an output transformer or would it be o.k as it is?
V :grin:

Hi Vikki!

I think Gustav (Labs) was/is selling the 9K boards,

I thought there was a hard to get part for the 9k - the MAT-02s or something?? Was there a solution???

I think for balanced output you would have to use SSLtech's balancing board, which is also on Kruz's site.

No DIY projects from Mr.Hardy but I'm sure the JLM board or the SeventhCircleJ99 board with Hardy990Cs would be pretty damn close to his M1s, M2s and TwinServos sonically.

Regards Tom

Judging by the prices on Australian websites, the Aussie dollar is worth less than the US dollar. I'm too lazy to look up the exact UK-to-Au$$ie exchange rate right now.

I don't believe Hardy sells kits, but his 990 op-amp (which is the original, all the rest are copies or "inspired by" to some degree) is reasonably priced, about $50 US. It would not be a major challenge to build or otherwise obtain a suitable circuit board; you could even build your circuit on one of those "universal" bussed or pad-per-hole boards. If you want clean, transparent, quiet and uncolored, you can't do better than the Hardy.

I think Gustav is on vacation right now and won't be back until the end of July, so you won't be able to get any boards from him at the moment.

The Seventh circle audio set up looks good for someone like me who has little access to machinery and bending gear. The box that holds 8 units would be a good idea as i could build a couple of channels of one type and a couple of channels of another, i notice he has some j'fet preamps coming up. I thought the box alone was a bit expensive at 299 dollars, snag is 30 pounds in the 100 pounds in import tax in the u.k. But i could just buy the pcb's and then get my own parts over here in the u.k, would look quite professional when it was together Anyone built the Seventh circle gear, noticed a guy had built one on the site a few weeks ago, i wonder what the results were like?

> Anyone built the Seventh circle gear, noticed a guy had built one on the site a few weeks ago, i wonder what the results were like?

I built 2 of his Neve 1272s and the PS01 power supply. I just bought the PCB from SCA and sourced the parts myself. In the end, I think the N72 cost about the same (and less headaches dealing with different suppliers if you buy all from SCA)...

next time, I'll buy the PCB AND parts from SCA for the Neve 1272.

I built my own chassis since I don't like the layout of his 8ch chassis (and I dont need 8 channels).

Disclaimer: These are my experiences for the N72 kit. I don't have info for the other SCA kits.

It sounds excellent. I'm very pleased with it. Quality is great. Some of the holes are very tightly spaced together... (especially around the 3 layer, 12 position selector switch). You need a steady hand, very fine tip, and magnifying glass to solder that area. Desoldering is a pain because of plated-thru holes. (And the holes are very small).

[quote author="Flatpicker"]If you're looking for something un-colored, you should stay away from the Neve and API clones. I'd build either this: http://www.forsselltech.com/schematics/JE16%20Mike%20Preamp.PDF , or this: http://www.johnhardyco.com/pdf/M1_M2_M1p_20031025.pdf using either the Forssell 992 or the JH990 and a Lundahl LL1538XL input transformer. I believe this will give you the ?sound? you are searching for.

*Edited to fix link[/quote]

And on top of that a little while back. I did post both a schematic and a pdf pcb layout for a preamp using a LL1538 and a 990C opamp It works GREAT..!!!

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=5840&highlight=#5840

Kind regards

Peter[/code]

Ive built both the N72 and the JLm kit. The N72's are cool if you need a high gain 1272, you mentioned ribbon mics and acoustic guitars, which I would never use a neve anything on, but thats just my taste. If you've got thin tracks that need a lot of bottom, the N72 will serve you well, my issue with acoustics is always too much bottom and ribbons only complicate that, and in that case a 1272 based pre is definitely going to be working against you.

The jlm 99 pre is insanely good and versatile. You can put just about any transformer you want in there, bunches of people have heard the box I built at this point and *everyone* who has heard it has stopped in their tracks. The dual opamp pre that joe designed has a ton of gain and I used it to track vocals with a royer sf1 which is typically pretty picky about needing a good amount of clean gain. Depending on which transformers you elect to use, you can set it up to get you a wide variety of sounds and you can also use just about any opamp in there that has that standard 990 footprint. I think joes 99v opamp is really incredible though. If you go through the trouble of putting this kit together and you dont like the way it sounds, you could always go back and change the transformers and opamps with EASE and have a totally different sounding pre- its highly configurable, so doing the wiring for the boards allows you to make a few decisions about the exact sound you want down the line, you could put a handful of transformers in the input position, use anything you want more or less on the output and use a 1731, 2520, hardy 990, forssell 990 or the JLM 99v OR use a chip. Lots of options. With a 1:5 input, dual 99v's and a 1:1 output this thing puts out more gain than I need, I added a switch which keeps the second opamp at unity which is really useful I think...

dave

Latest posts

Back