Back Lighting the GSSL Meter?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matta

Hey Guys,

I saw this pic that Frank posted and it shows how Summit back light their Meter and I had a similar idea for my edge wise meter for the GSSL.

194-9445_IMG.jpg

Is it possible to take the V off the LED spot on the Control board to power the LED's for the back lighting? And if so is there a limit as to how many I can put in series without sapping too much power from the GSSL, would I need to swop out the pull down resistor as well?

Thanks

Matt

i used two warm white LEDs buffed and glued to the back of the meter, trust me, two is MORE than enough. i had to dull it down with some resistance for sure.

:thumb:

Thanks Svart!

Did you use them in sereis or parallel with each other? And did you take the V from where the power LED would be on the control board?

I don't feeel the need for that power LED and would rather use the meter backlighting as an indication of power.

The dropping resistor on the control board is 1K, I think is should be fine right?

Thanks

Matt

Hey! Good idea about just using the power led for meter lighting!!:idea: Brilliant! So simple but so brilliant!:wink:

I'm gonna block that hole right away and move the led for sure! The led that's in there now is so bright that it lights up the entire studio so it will be more than sufficient on it's own.

Hey Matt,

I'm doing exactly the same thing with my led. Goin behind the meter. I just bought one of those ultra bright white ones, which I'm planning on mounting (somehow, I'm not too sure of yet) behind this small blue VU meter I got from jaycar. The jaycar meter is only 34mm round(circular) so I figured I'd only need one.

I haven't powered mine up yet (just got those lovely green pre's goin :wink: ) so I can't offer any experience with the GSSL yet, but I hear ya on the idea.

I'm wondering how far back I should pace the led................................................................................................................................................................ :idea: far enough?

regards

Steve

no i ended up adding even more resistance beyond the 1k.. i think i added another 300r. the LEDs can be either series or parallel to your tastes just adjust the current limiting R accordingly..

or go the easy route and setup an LM317 in current regulator mode and drive them properly... white LEDs are around 20ma so you could hook up way more than you need probably around 5 or 6.

however i used two behind the meter for a more even lighting, but one at full brightness is WAY more than enough!

:thumb:

Don't load the 12V at the control pcb more than necessary - after all it's our VCA reference.

For meter light, it's probably best to use the unregulated supply (after the rectifier, before the regulators)

Jakob E.

LEDs won't load much, colored LEDs use way less current than whites/blues/purples.

For my incandescent lights i did what Gyraf suggested, a regulator straight from the bridge.

just calculate a series resistance based on whatever your unregulated voltage is..

I've got a 15V unregulated. which means I need to get rid of ~12,5V for regular Led's? I think I need some private electrnic tuitions.

Any advice much apprechiated,
Christoph

No, you'd take the 15 minus the forward voltage drop of the LED, and then use Ohm's law to figure out your resistance.

that's why i wrote "~" 12,5 - haven't decided which color/led type to use. Then I'll know the current of the diode (let's say 20mA). Therefore I'd need an 625 Ohm Resistor?

Thanks Kid,
Christoph

good stuff - thanks! I used a small psu board straight of the rectifier, now I got very low level hum (audible when I crank up makeup gain) - need to have another look.

cri

Latest posts

Back