Maybe off topic....need info on P-Bass P'ups

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Test Point

Hi All...I recently scored an '82 "Vintage reissue '59 P-bass :razz: and the p'ups that were in it when I got it were EMG actives (not original). I ripped them out and installed a cheap pair of Allparts pickups that I had kicking around but I know I can do better. This Bass is SO sweet (it's a Fiesta Red that mellowed (yellowed?) over the years to almost a burnt orange due to the nitro paint). I have looked into Fender originals but I ran into a website yesterday that is talking about p'ups made by Fralin....is anyone familiar with these at all? They are about twice the price of the Fenders. I tend to play alot of styles of music, from mellow ballads to thrash rock. Any suggestions from you DIY bassists would be welcome. I know, I know...wind your own!!! If only I had the time. :sad:
TP

The best vintage-style pickups I've used are Seymour Duncan. I went through a bunch before I found them and these are really good. I haven't tried the 'Antiquity' style but the 'Vintage' style are excellent and I have them in four basses.

:thumb:

Ive recorded some fralin pickups over the years, definitley quality without question, but those pickups have a lot of personality to them, they definitely reflect an "improved" look on things from the winder. I dont think Ive ever heard the bass ones, but if they are anything like the guitar pickups, Id anticipate a bigger and much more in your face sound while not sounding "modern" if that makes any sense. Id put the fralin pickups Ive heard (and no idea which ones they were) in that category of really high quality but sorta specific taste. I guess that can be said for lots of pickups. Trying to describe this stuff is maddening.

dave

I like the fender 62 P bass ones. Some of the new fender pickups are nice the CS Js I have are nice

I don't like the SD P bass 1/4 pounder have not tried the Antiquitys.

I do like the fralin J bass pickups I have heard.

I'm a bit anal when it comes to guitar parts.

If it is a vintage Fender bass, then I would fit fender reissue or vintage pickups. Fender make some great pickups.

If it was a Gibson, I'd fit Gibson pickups. I've fitted Seymour Duncans and others in different guitars in my time, but I personally rarely see the need in changing Gibson pickups because they are so versatile and sound great. It's maybe a consideration though if you were going to be playing very hard metal though.

Choosing pickups is like choosing denim. There are a lot of killer brands out there, but you have to try them on to know if it's for you. That being said, I LOVE Bartolinis, I have a P-basses with both SD QP's and Antiquities and I'm not changing either! Fralins are badass too. I will say that how tight you hold your pick will have more barring on the sound though :twisted:

:guinness: :guinness: :guinness:

Hey TP.
Never heard the Fralin stuff, but I installed some BassLines (seymour) on a PJ bass with a Fender Marcus Miller preamp and they sound great. But forget about vintage tone with that preamp. But I thought the pickups were pretty transparant. If you can say that.
I'm a big fan of Bartolinis too, but again, tough to get the vintage tone.
I would have to agree with rodabod. If you want the fender tone, get the fender pickups. They are probably not that expensive.

my 2 cents
Gil

Yeah...I'm leaning towards the Fender Originals..I tend to be anal about some stuff too Rodabod. I like my stuff to be as original as possible, within reason. The Fenders are half the price and at least I know what I'll be getting...I can always get Fralins when I'm a little more flush with extra denari.
Later,
TP

Duncans are great, and I put a Rio Grande Muy Grande in my p-bass that was really cool. I've never heard Lindy Fralin pickups but I have heard good things about them.

Once my P-Bass fell on it's face (guess it was drunk or so....) and one of the two coils were broken. After I replaced them to Rockingers (german parts-supplier who also has own Pickups) the sound was almost the same, maybe with a bit more low but I'm not really sure about this.

url is: Rockinger P-Bass

Oh, and they are cheap.

In the meantime I bought a second set to drop into my DIY-PJ-Bass - very pleasing!

Chris

Chriss, I can second that. Rockinger PUs definitely ROCK

Long time ago I fitted a 61Precision with an Alembic PU. A good sounding thingy but not what you want if you like to have the original tone.

I would recommend Duncans as well. If you want the original sound, get the normal vintage types, not quarter pound or anything like that. Duncan vintage pickups are probably the most accurate reproductions you can get.

Latest posts

Back