Dead Fairchild 670

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackLarsen

Hi,
The mains transformer (ref: T302) of our Fairchild 670 is burnt.

I guess I will have to order a new one to a transformer manufacturer (Jensen or Sowter) but I miss some infos about intensities (in Amps.) Only voltages specs. are written on Fairchild schematics.
This transformer generate 5.1 v for the GZ34 valve, 6.3 v for heaters and 400 v for plates but I have no ideas of current values.

If anyone have infos, know a way to order this transformer,...I will be the happiest man in the world!
Thanks in advance.

Have you tried asking Sowter? They may have made some before.

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Yep
Talk to Brian Sowter

E A Sowter Ltd The Boatyard, Cullingham Road IPSWICH IP1 2EG England Tel: +44(0)1473 252794
Fax: +44(0)1473 236188

Or use this form

http://www.sowter.co.uk/2mainsfm.htm

prices for custom are the same as the normal stuff... (unless you want extra windings)

Sowter does not make the prw trans but this guy does:

http://home.earthlink.net/~rogerr7/autran.htm

But it's gonna cost ya. But if you want dead nuts original right down to the end bells, he is the man.

You could send him your dead one and he could rewind it, that way you preserve your investment. There were only about 45 of these classics built, so you should try to keep it as original as possible, in my opinion.

You could cross it to a Hammond or cheaper product. The plate current is important, but the heater current is probably more important. Just get a tube manual and add up all your plate ma and heaters per schematic, then check the catalogs.

cj

Thanks to all of you !

I've already talked to Sowter before sending this mail, they can make a custom power transformer but they don't know the current values as well.
They have input/output 670 transformers in stock but not power one.

Thanks CJ for the tip, I'll send the old one to that guy so it will fit in the 670 frame, and calculate all the current values.

Thanks again for your advices
Regards

Latest posts

Back