What kind of electrolytics are in a Purple MC76?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JW

Anybody know what kind of electrolytics are in a Purple MC76?
They have that "M" that has a box around it.

Would that mean they're panasonic M series?

I'm on a fix where I'm replacing all the panasonic caps in my gear with Nichicon PM's or HE's

Via the MC76 page (via google)
Panasonic HFS Low-Impedance 105°C Capacitors in the audio path between amplifiers are far superior electrolytic capacitors for audio than those originally used in the vintage units
Panasonic Snap Mount TSNH Long Life 105°C Capacitors for power supply filtering have a great mechanical connection to the PCB and have a lower impedance than those originally used in the vintage units

I have loads of diffeent caps that have M on them... must mean something else (size/ Celcius rating????)

the [m] stands for matsushita, the parent company of panasonic.

purple used the now discontinued HFS series for audio electros, which is different from the current FC series. when stocks of the HFS series ran low, purple switched to elna RJB and RJH, with a few FCs in the sidechain loop interface of the MC77. the TSNHs are the snap-in power supply caps.

if you do decide to swap them out, consider saving them, because you won't be able to order new ones if you don't like the nichicons as much.

ed

Latest posts

Back