Will this work as a word clock?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b3groover

So I'm going out on a limb here, but I think this might work. I just won one of these on eBay for less that $100:

http://www.monarchyaudio.com/Introduction.html

It's made for audiophiles. It takes the digital out of your CD player and reduces jitter. This is what caught my eye:

The most dramatic feature is the Classic?s built-in precision clock. The original clock retrieved from the transport is abandoned. A new reference clock is introduced to hold the sampling frequency at a precision 44.1KHz

It then outputs the new source to AES/EBU. Now, here's my plan:

I'm going to take an old Yamaha CD player with TOSlink output, hook that baby in to the DIP, and then hook the AES output up to MOTU 1224 and then sync the MOTU to it's AES input!

I'm hoping this will work as well as getting a stand-alone word clock generator like an Aardsync or Lucid. The question is do I even need to hook up the CD player or will the output of the DIP be enough to create a clock signal? Whaddya think?

no clue...

but my guess is your going to have to send it clock to get anything out... im betting it uses the original as a ref

Impossible.

Think about it. If it generates a fresh WC, then it will drift out of sync with the incoming clock. Your CD player cannot be resolved to reference sync, usually. (Though professional CDs and DATs can, for exactly this purpose.)

This is an audiophool snake-oil job, or I'm a Pirate.

(Har-haaaarrrr!)

Well, it doesn't worry about the CD player... you're supposed to use an outboard DAC with it. The only thing you use the CD player for is the transport after this thing is done with the signal... supposedly.

If it sucks I can sell it for what I put into it. :)

This box is a reclocker.
It reclockes the signal and spits it out.
I have not heard this box but they do make digital audio sound better from a CD player.

It is not snake oil I have heard reclockers improve the sound as then audio image was more stable.

Latest posts

Back