reampdevice results

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony dB

After having build one to NY Dave's drawing, thanks Dave :sam:
(http://www.ionrecords.com/tapeop/ampinterface.jpg) and tested for about 30 minutes, i can say that this will be something i will be using A LOT, if not on every production from now!

I used to run signals back from my desk at -35 to -20 dB to Marshall's and Hiwatt's, so far this worked more or less on percussionsounds and almost never on gtrs cos they sounded to muffles, over-overdriven and with to much side-effects as noise etc...

Now doing the same thing but with the ballinetogtrlevelreamp gives me the possibility to run whatever signal (gtr, bass, percussion, strings!,...) to my amps and it comes out sounding super transparant. Heavy distorted gtrs can be feed back to the same amp to generate roomverb and still stay cristalclear! WOW!! :thumb:

Anyone who want to reamping whatever should definitely consider building some of these boxes. I used the Edcor 10K/600 trannie, connected the centertap to get to the necesary 150 instead of 600.

Could I use the other side to split the same to another amp/fx? Or will this be opposite phase? What could be solved by switching the connection at R1 i assume

In a few days we'll try it on gtrFXpedals,
back to tracking now...

Cheers :guinness: ,

tdB

cool. i have a few 150/600:10K40K trannys here. i'm going to build this. i remember getting burned once trying to "reamp®" in a session and had to retrack, so this will be handy.

how do you set the output impedance control?

Adjust to taste. If you don't hear a difference, just leave it turned down.

The idea is just to build-out the output impedance to be closer to that of a guitar pickup. When we plug a guitar into an amp, part of the sound we're used to hearing includes high-frequency rolloff from the rather high impedance of the pickup working into cable capacitance, input capacitance of the first amplifier stage, etc. If you record a guitar DI and then play it back into an amplifier driven from a low impedance source, it could be hard to get it to sound like it would if you'd just plugged the guitar right into the amp in the first place. The pot is just a crude device to help it get closer.

I think the whole "reamping" trend is pretty much nonsense, myself--people are SO afraid to commit to a sound when tracking these days!--but I drew up the circuit in response to repeated requests for an affordable solution, and folks who've built it have told me that it does what they want it to do.

reamping trend or not :green: , this is just another very useful tool and an extra color in my palet, mostly when mixing. AND the sound when going from mixer with a recorded gtrsound to a gtramp is very close to a real gtr going in the amp, this makes a lot of difference.

Never had a snare sounding not right, even when tracked using top pres and compressors? Check this. Put a gtramp on his back, run your recorded snare tru the lineleveltogtramplevelbox into this amp. Place real snaredrum on top of the gtrampspeaker and remike this snare. Adjust levels for max slam or whatever you might need to get it right. If you want a fat roomsound on your snare only you can roommike too.

You could also resend a total drumkit to 2 gtramps and stereo mike the amps and the room. Put this in your mix at -10 dB underneat your drumtracks and you will understand that why i am so impressed by the results of Dave's design :grin: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

About the impedance control... i didn't hear much diff at all on gtrs, overheads became a little dull when going to far.
Not tried fxpedals yet, back to recording now :sam:

From the Jensen transformer appnotes:

reamp2.gif

Enjoy!!!

regards, Jack

Yep, I saw that one too, not long after I drew mine. When you have a simple problem with a fairly obvious solution, the circuit almost designs itself :grin: You wouldn't think "obvious" circuits could be patented, but apparently that's not the case...

The only real difference between mine and Jensen's is that I use the transformer to do most of the attenuation, whereas Jensen use a 1:1 transformer and do all the attenuation in the pot. I thought about doing this, too, since 1:1 transformers are most common, but decided on a different approach since I wanted to make the level control as low resistance as possible so it would contribute little to variations in the output impedance. The idea was to start with the lowest possible value of output Z that could be built out deliberately with the second pot.

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]the circuit almost designs itself :grin: You wouldn't think "obvious" circuits could be patented, but apparently that's not the case...[/quote]
My thoughts exactly Dave... it's like the Amazon One-Click patent, filed at a time when dozens of sites on the net were using exactly that system. It all depends on how much money you have to use to push it through!

The Smucker's crustless PB&J sandwich is another laugh riot... my Mom was making those back in the 1950s! :razz:

regards, Jack

[quote author="NewYorkDave"]A
I think the whole "reamping" trend is pretty much nonsense, myself--people are SO afraid to commit to a sound when tracking these days!.[/quote]

Well for me it's a handy thing, as I like to write/arrange with a POD so I can quickly try different sounds as I go along. I track every gtr "stereo", one side POD and the other DI, so I can later run the parts through different amps and pedals.

Bryson,

exactly my point made clear, only i trie to run as much to real amps and occasionally to my pod's. I often stack marshall's, boogies, hiwatts and vox to get a fat gtrsound and this works well!

I´m just searching for the circuit for Dave´s Reamp Box, but can´t find it.... Can please someone give me a Link?
Thanx jonas

Latest posts

Back