Ultrasonic sounds and nausea

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradb

Back in highschool, i saw some dubious plans for making an ultrasonic noise generator that would cause discomfort and nausea. I've seen some devices being offered to the public recently...

Here are some links:
http://www.amazing1.com/ultra.htm
http://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/noise/health_effects/ultrasonics.html

I'm curious how it works and by what principle? Is it resonating with bones/liquid in the ear? What frequencies are they putting out?

ultrasonic is easily blocked and absorbed. does the ultrasonic bath you mention have liquid in it. The liquid is probably absorbing all the ultrasonic radiation. See what happens when you just have the ultrasonic speaker pointed at you, with no bath. :green:

the show myth busters did some sound tests with the mayer speaker people. One was to try and do the brown note. You know a frequency so low you crap your pants. couldn't get it to work even at real loud leveals and super low frequencies like around 6HZ. bottom line was busted nd couldn't happen.
Next one was breaking a glass via ones voice. Again with the mayer speaker people. Now that did happen but took lota of effort.

I foubt those work..

I have played a sine wave between 17 and 21kHz through my monitors at a high db meter reading and it made me very uncomfortable. Actually, it was painful. I could barely hear it so it was not loud, but I'll never do it at that volume level again. It can't be good.

Try it sometime. Sweep a tone until you cant hear it, then come some back Hz. Turn the volume almost to clip, dont blow a driver, and see if it does the same for you.
Caine

Marshall Buck said he had a headache for hours after an audition of one of the American Tech. Corp.'s ultrasonic heterodyne tranducers.

They of course were introduced with maximum hoopla as eliminating all the dreadful things that make loudspeakers less than perfect. What they substitute instead is truly horrendous, but needless to say Harm*n folk had to be dispatched to find out why they had missed this marvelous innovation :razz:

I read something about experiments with infrasonic sound somewhere.

The only thing i remember is that someone experimented with frequencies around 18 or 19 Hz. This was supposed to be near the resonant frequency of your eyeballs. The results were supposed to be nausea, blurred vision and loss of coordination.

This was all based on a theory that lot's of 'haunted houses' have chimneys that resonate on these freqencies when it storms and this was supposed to be the cause of sightings of ghosts.

I can tell when an amplifier is putting out nasty things,.... after a while, my ears start to do weird things, like generate excess fluid and increase ringing, along with light pain. Then I know it's either ultra sonics or rude cliipping that is causing fatigue. This seems to happen a lot more with transistor amps.

myth busters make a proof with infrasound with a wall of speakers and without luck.
they say. "the myth is false"... :grin:

The brown note is just an urban legend.

It was apparently rumoured to be somewhere between 5 and 9 hertz according to the US military who tested it for combat purposes. The program was short-lived after no pooing could was ever achieved during expirimentation.

I saw that on Myth Busters a couple of days ago. Just to prove the rumour false, they put a guy wearing an adult diaper in a massive speaker stack and blasted him with subaudible frequencies between 5 and 9 hertz. He was very disoriented and was unable to speak clearly, but he was quite visibly never in danger of uncontrollable pooing.

I make a mistake... :oops: it was about the brown note...
I can`t find info about the power of the amplifier but it appear to be a large audience power amp.

[quote author="pucho812"][quote author="bcarso"] 1.21 Gigawatts??[/quote]

1.21 Gigawatts!!
great scott. :green:[/quote]

Said Dr. "Brown" :green:

Back