My mic bottoms are here! My mic bottoms are here!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alk509

Some of you may remember my (never-ending) AKM-78 microphone project... remember this piece I designed for the bottom?

Mic_Bottom_Animation.gif

Well, they're finally here from the machine shop!!! :grin:

micbottom1.jpg

Here's a closeup:

micbottom2.jpg

Here it is with the Tuchel connector in place:

micbottom3.jpg

And the mandatory shot, casually showing off some of the other stuff on my bench:

micbottom4.jpg

I spent WEEKS measuring and remeasuring everything to make sure that everything would fit perfectly... and it does! Like a glove, baby! Floyd was like "Holy shit!!!":

FloydGoesShit.jpg

:green:

Peace,
Al.

tasty!

did you use emachine for this? looks very nice!

may I be bold and ask you how much it cost you to have them machined? My metal work skills are far exceeded by the aesthetic ideas I concoct. CAD I can do though so perhaps with is the approach I should take.

:thumb:

[quote author="Sammas"]did you use emachine for this?[/quote]

Fo' shizzle. I probably spent more than what I would have at a regular (non "e") machine shop... but damn, it's sooo convenient! :oops:

[quote author="Sammas"]may I be bold and ask you how much it cost you to have them machined?[/quote]

Sure: I ordered 22 pieces and it ended up costing me about 27-28 bucks a pop.

Peace,
Al.

Thanks everybody... Check out how pretty it looks with the screws in place:

micbottom5.jpg

YUMMM!!! :green:

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="soundguy"]floyd needs a shave.[/quote]

I'll ship him to you.

[quote author="gyraf"]Very very nice thingys, those ones..![/quote]

Thanks, Jakob!

Peace,
Al.

Hey Al,
Stuff looks great..
don't you love that thing? (emachineshop)
I found myself spending hours trying to come up with different ways of machining the same parts. I learned a lot about machining with that thing. I just wish they let you combine the use of certain machines, like mill and water jet, or lathe and laser cut. I think they out source some of the machining, that is why they don't let you use certain combinations of machines.

Let us know how the mics come along.
good job :thumb:
Gil

Bellissima!

Is that the Tenlux capsule in the not-so background?

EDIT: Nevermind. I saw on your site that it is. :green: :thumb:

al,

i just started working at a machine shop. if you have anything else, i might could be able to help make it up, or prototype it for you. shoot me a pm if your interested.

t

[quote author="asm"]al,

i just started working at a machine shop. if you have anything else, i might could be able to help make it up, or prototype it for you. shoot me a pm if your interested.

t[/quote]

I actually might have some parts that I'll need machined... I'll let you know. Thanks! :thumb:

Peace,
Al.

i also have access to a machine shop( mill, lathe etc..) if you or anyone need some small parts machined. it's all hand, no CNC so nothing too complex or i'll be at it for days!

thats a cute cat.

dave you stay away from that cat..

:thumb:

[quote author="Svart"]i also have access to a machine shop( mill, lathe etc..) if you or anyone need some small parts machined. it's all hand, no CNC so nothing too complex or i'll be at it for days!

thats a cute cat.

dave you stay away from that cat..

:thumb:[/quote]

Maybe you could come up with a microphone case you could sell us with all the parts we need as a kit (hardware only).

This stuff is addictive... I think i might order some stuff to build an alice mic.

here is one of the design I was messing around with. looks huge but is actually only 27mm in diameter and 125mm long.

Its actually considerably cheaper to have the mic body and grill all made together... and ordering 4 is cheaper than ordering just one :shock:

its $35 each when order in a lot of 10, but scales down as you order more (ie, only $20 each when ordering 50).

This stuff is great fun!

mic%201.JPG

http://groupdiy.twin-x.com/displayimage.php?pos=-505

time to study up on grill design i think...

I put a mic body into emachineshop, but it would have been something like 65 bucks a pop for like 10 of them... I still haven't found a better alternative than just a Dremel and files :?...

BTW, here's the mic body design I'm working with:

tube.jpg

I want to try different grill shapes, though - I'm sure there's better-sounding grills than a cylindrical one.

Peace,
Al.

Yeah I've designed some nice grill designs that can just slot onto a peice of prepared 1 inch tube similar in shape to what you have. It does however cost almost the same amount as a completely machined mic like the one above...

There is some more playing around to be done I think :grin: Time to move to my desktop, I dont think this computer will handle some of the whacky stuff I shall try and create.

Is the angle on your end cap just a large chamfer?

Latest posts

Back