Advice on making cable for MKL2500 tube microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohhey

Ok, I've ordered this cable to make a new cable for my MKL2500

http://www.mogamicable.com/mogami_cab/micr_cables/tubemic_cab/tubemicc.html

Should I use the two heavy wires for plate voltage and heater voltage ? Or both for heater ?

Here is a link to the schematic

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=509&highlight=mkl2500

[quote author="ohhey"]
Should I use the two heavy wires for plate voltage and heater voltage ? Or both for heater ?
[/quote]

Both for the heater!

Yeah, I'd just follow exactly what it says on the spec sheet at the website.

Try and be very, very neat when you make it too. If there is a centre pin (there is one isn't there) then solder this first to make it easier.

DON'T forget to put the XLR bodies on the cable first if they are designed that way! I've done this so many times it's not even funny.

[quote author="rodabod"]Yeah, I'd just follow exactly what it says on the spec sheet at the website.

Try and be very, very neat when you make it too. If there is a centre pin (there is one isn't there) then solder this first to make it easier.

DON'T forget to put the XLR bodies on the cable first if they are designed that way! I've done this so many times it's not even funny.[/quote]

It's not funny at all when you do it but it's VERY funny when someone else does it. :grin:

[quote author="zebra50"][quote author="ohhey"]
[/quote]

Both for the heater![/quote]

So what are the two heater pins at the mic end ? 2 and 3 ?

[quote author="ohhey"][quote author="zebra50"][quote author="ohhey"]
[/quote]

So what are the two heater pins at the mic end ? 2 and 3 ?[/quote]

Yep, looks like pins 2 and 3 according to Zebra's schematic. You can check on the original cable. Plug it into the P/S and check the voltage on the pins between earth (pin 1?) and 2 and 3. The heaters are at 6V, although I would have thought there would only be one heater conductor, but nevermind.

If you are still unsure, I'll get mine out and check - it'd only take a minute.

[quote author="rodabod"][quote author="ohhey"][quote author="zebra50"][quote author="ohhey"]
[/quote]

So what are the two heater pins at the mic end ? 2 and 3 ?[/quote]

Yep, looks like pins 2 and 3 according to Zebra's schematic. You can check on the original cable. Plug it into the P/S and check the voltage on the pins between earth (pin 1?) and 2 and 3. The heaters are at 6V, although I would have thought there would only be one heater conductor, but nevermind.

If you are still unsure, I'll get mine out and check - it'd only take a minute.[/quote]

Looks like pin 1 is the plate voltage not earth.. !

[quote author="ohhey"]
Looks like pin 1 is the plate voltage not earth.. ![/quote]

Shit, sorry, dude.

I didn't look at the schematic, hence the question mark.

Yeah, 0V is pin 2 (?) so heater wires for pins 2 and 3 should be right.

Do check your mic's wiring before you dive in - measure the volatges on all the pins. There are at least two versions of this mic and I think there is no guarantee that your mic will be the same as mine.....

I don't think I have mine anymore - it has vanished from the studio

[quote author="zebra50"]Do check your mic's wiring before you dive in - measure the volatges on all the pins. There are at least two versions of this mic and I think there is no guarantee that your mic will be the same as mine.....

I don't think I have mine anymore - it has vanished from the studio[/quote]

I will, thanks for the heads up.

[quote author="rodabod"]I would have thought there would only be one heater conductor[/quote]

You don't share heater ground with audio ground through the cable. In fact, for my AKM-78 I'm using three separate ground conductors (shield, heater ground and audio ground).

Peace,
Al.

[quote author="alk509"][quote author="rodabod"]I would have thought there would only be one heater conductor[/quote]

You don't share heater ground with audio ground through the cable. In fact, for my AKM-78 I'm using three separate ground conductors (shield, heater ground and audio ground).

Peace,
Al.[/quote]

I have six wires plus a shield do I have enough to do that ?

[quote author="ohhey"]I have six wires plus a shield do I have enough to do that ?[/quote]

I would think so... 2 conductors for the heater, 1 for B+, 1 ground, 2 audio outs, and a shield.

Peace,
Al.

Latest posts

Back