2 mic cards, how many amps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b3groover

I have two MAP mic pre's I'm getting close to racking up. They take a bipolar 15vdc power supply and are basically API clones. With phantom coming off the same transformer, how many amps of power do you think each one would need?

A 122A. I looked high and low for a decent old 122 and I couldn't find one. Some people say the 122As are not as good, but it sounds fine to me.

:thumb:

Those are the new ones, right? They're fine. The upper driver is a little funky but you could replace that with the BT Productions driver (which is awesome!!)

Another option is to look for a 147 which is the same as a 122 except for the amp. But you could pop your 122A amp in there (which is what I use... a new 122A amp from Hammond/Suzuki through an old 147) and you'll be good to go with the original (hopefully) drivers and crossover.

I just picked up and restored a 21H. Ooooooooooooo..... there is nothing like a 21H. Single speed, yes... but the sound. If you know the Rudy Van Gelder organ sound from the 1950s/60s then you know the sound I'm talking about. Field coil 15" Jensen woofer, powered by four 5881s, alnico horn... it doesn't get any better. Best sounding Leslie for Hammond ever made, in my opinion.

I did a couple of albums with Deep Purple a while ago. During the first one, there were some wierdnesses with Jon Lord's 122's, so I took a look...

:shock:

The amps were ripped out. The original drivers were gone. In their place were a pair of Peavey Black Widows for the LF, and a pair of JBL 2482 drivers for the top end. The whole thing was externally biamped and driven with Crown Macrotech amplifiers.

They were freakin' L-O-U-D.!!!

They sounded very different to stock units as you can gather, but most of the trouble was from the cabinet itself. There was so much vibration and sound pressure that the joints had started to weaken and come apart and the thing was buzzing and rattling like an old washboard!

Some remedial cabinet work later and everything was humming again, but I'll never forget my first glance inside the cabinet... everything was out of place!!!

Keith

[quote author="SSLtech"] In their place were a pair of Peavey Black Widows for the LF, and a pair of JBL 2482 drivers for the top end. The whole thing was externally biamped and driven with Crown Macrotech amplifiers.[/quote]

Now that is a serious mod!

I'm surprised the blinking things didn't take off!!

:shock:

Mark

Criminey!!! That would be loud as hell! I have a custom made direct box that I use in conjuction with mics to get my Leslie up to volume and get a good bass sound for my pedals. Much easier and you get the original sound of the Leslie!

Back