Any Protools Mac Os9 experts, please help . . .

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strangeandbouncy

Now i consider myself pretty handy with the above aforementioned . . . BUT . . . I have a D24, 2 x Mix Farm cards, 5 x 882/20's, 5 x protools interface cables, and 2 x Y cables. I use Logic 6.4.1, and Protools/DAE 5.1.1 What I need to know is if it is possible to connect more than 4 interfaces to this system in Os9. Loadsa probs, I've tried EVERY combination of card order and cable allocation. nothing seems to work now, even though I have just mixed an album with this set-up, using 40 outputs. Trouble started when I tried to record on inputs 17-25. I am getting a DAE error -7101. THis only applies to 1622's apparently, acording to database. Now I can't even reconfigure for only 32 in/out, as it was before, no matter what I do! So bizzarre, only wasted 9 hours paid studiotime so far ,. . . . Also, I am now getting PCI bus too busy message as well . . . . too many variables for me!

AAGH!

any help is very much appreciated,

ANdyP[/i]

hmmm.... a -7101 DAE error sounds like a dsp error.... try using the Core only with one Y-cable. Then add one dsp card at a time. Reboot-Reboot-Reboot-Reboot :grin:

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]What I need to know is if it is possible to connect more than 4 interfaces to this system in Os9.[/i][/quote]
Yes, use the two Y-cables and one regular cable. Connect the Ycable to the core card, the second Ycable on the first dsp card, and the regular cable on your third dsp card. Connect the 882's

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]....THis only applies to 1622's apparently, acording to database. [/i][/quote]
I wouldn't use the 1622. 5x882's will give you 40ins & 40outs

Run Digitest (with out speakers off)

reboot arferwards

see if your cards are OK. the D24 is an older card an might be failing......

it hapens from time to time, i have personally sent it 3 different mix cards over the years for Digi to fix. this is from my setup and others that i have worked on as well.

there may be a limitayion with the D24 also but as you did ave 40 outputs it seems not to likely.

Also Download 5.1.3 it has some bug fixes in it.

D24 systems regardless of extra dsp cards could only do 32 tracks of audio max I.E 32 voices. extra dsp mean more FX on those systems. in order to do more have to upgrade your system to a mix core w/mix farm cards or higher.
D24's will allow more then 32 tracks but only do 32 voices at a time max.

the mix systems did 64 voices max

HD's did up to 128 voices at 44.1/48

and the excels do up to 192 or somwething close to that @ 44.1/48.,
unfortunately your 40 tracks will not happen unless you juggle voices or submix tracks, share voices or something to that effect.

[quote author="strangeandbouncy"]Now i consider myself pretty handy with the above aforementioned . . . BUT . . . I have a D24, 2 x Mix Farm cards, 5 x 882/20's, 5 x protools interface cables, and 2 x Y cables. I use Logic 6.4.1, and Protools/DAE 5.1.1 What I need to know is if it is possible to connect more than 4 interfaces to this system in Os9. Loadsa probs, I've tried EVERY combination of card order and cable allocation. nothing seems to work now, even though I have just mixed an album with this set-up, using 40 outputs. Trouble started when I tried to record on inputs 17-25. I am getting a DAE error -7101. THis only applies to 1622's apparently, acording to database. Now I can't even reconfigure for only 32 in/out, as it was before, no matter what I do! So bizzarre, only wasted 9 hours paid studiotime so far ,. . . . Also, I am now getting PCI bus too busy message as well . . . . too many variables for me!

AAGH!

any help is very much appreciated,

ANdyP[/i][/quote]

it's been a couple of years since i had it happen, but i recall getting that
-7101 error and it turned out to be a bad mix card.

Thanks very much for your valuable advice guys. I rented a Mix-core, and this completely cured the problem. Even with core-card, Digitest still tells me "system mis-configured". EVEN when the cards are DEFINATELY in the right order. Maybe I have dodgy Fix-farms to boot. Who knows. It seems to work fine with Mix-core. Shame I will have to fork out another thousand pounds to sort this out . . . I have been running 64 tracks on this D24 with a mix-farm and a DSP-farm for nearly a year, so I am not sure about only 32 devices. I have got NO 1622's, only 5x882/20's
Kinda found a stop-gap solution til me next Pay-check . . . Provided I don't record using any input higher than 1-16, I still get 40 outputs with my 5x882's. Not a problem unless I'm recording a band. Also, it appears that I have still got another 8 inputs on the last 882, giving me 24. I haven't tried it under fire yet, but I think 24-ins should do me at a pinch 'til I've got some more cash.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

ANdyP

that darn digitest thing has never worked for me..

I have a mix core with 8 mix farms and it always gives me that same error.. so dont worry about that..

the only time I saw the digitest program work was the one I used when I tried OS X...

went back to OS9 though.. more plugs and rock solid stable

Latest posts

Back