AEA vs Shiny Box Ribbon (Samples)

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="matta"]I think/feel the Cinemag really opens the mic up, the stock while not bad just doesn't seem as open and 3D.
[/quote]

You have now discovered for yourself why I would sell different versions of the microphone =)

Glad you got it sorted.

Regards

ju

Finally! Someone's done it. Seems well worth the effort to upgrade. The stock unit sounds scooped in the mids, with less presence.

[quote author="fum"]You have now discovered for yourself why I would sell different versions of the microphone =)

Glad you got it sorted.

Regards

ju[/quote]

Indeed! Thanks again for the great support, service and products Jon, a real winner in my books.

[quote author="emrr"]Finally! Someone's done it. Seems well worth the effort to upgrade. The stock unit sounds scooped in the mids, with less presence.[/quote]

Yeah the presence is amazing, like a veil has been lifted off the source and I hear you on that mids issue, sounds a little honky to me.

I opened the stock transformers case and I can tell you that transformer is TINY!!! I'm actually surprised how decent it sounds all things considered, but the Cinemag puts it in a new league as far as versatility goes.

Cheers

Matt

I think for any comparisons
you really have to reverse the polarity on one channel ,
and try to match the levels as close as possible [ after positioning ]
, where you find the null and they cancel as much as possible ]
Then normalize the polarity and record one performance at the same time.
Allot of things sound good by themselves , and then when you compare it they sound different and We all know the louder one sounds stronger ,

Still thanks for doing that matta ,

Also where applicable blending the ribbons with other mics can make up
for the things that let you down about them . [ I have a pair of Royers ,
but just as often use them one at a time ]

[quote author="matta"]I opened the stock transformers case and I can tell you that transformer is TINY!!![/quote]

Yep. I stole the stock transformer's case and stuffed a CM-2480 in it for a tube microphone build. The 2480 is slightly longer, so only one of the case's two screws fits back in, but that holds it together.

Say, how did you guys mount the CM-9888 in the 46? Since the holes in the CM's case don't align with the stock transformer case, I only held the CM in place with one screw instead of two.

Filling the cavity with damping material definitely cuts some obtrusive resonance.

The single screw works just fine. Use a short self-tapping 4-40, with a lock washer.

Unless you're pullin a Roger Daltry, and swingin the mic over yur head by the mic cable, the transformer ain't going anywhere =)

and the Cinemag traffo isn't any bigger.

You know the old saying. It ain't how big it is :wink:

ju

Back