Finished My Sta-Level Clone!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannikin

After 7 months of gathering parts and a month to put it together ... my Sta-Level Clone if finally finished.

I decided to use Bantam jacks in the front so I can go directly into my TT-patchbay. I used only Auracaps, Hovland Musicaps, an Orange Drop, and Sprague Atoms. It sounds great and is quiet, I still have to do a lot of testing this weekend.

Sta2.jpg

Sta3.jpg

Sta1.jpg

Sta0.jpg

Special thanks to NYDave, Soundguy, CJ, Rob Flinn, Gyraf, Scenaria (couldn't have built this without building the Bloo first), and everyone that gave me advice!! :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :sam:

p"Marc Girard" said:
And point-to-point wiring looks so... (Insert adjective here!)

Looks so... Messy! Looks like ... your first Point to point :grin:

Thats the one hang up that I haven't figured out....

How to organize the components by just looking at the schematic.

thats gotta be one of the cooler looking projects Ive seen up here.

dont label your controls man, that rules.

dave

wow :thumb:

this must sound biiiig
when you go to test it could you record some soundclips?
I can host the files if you want....very curious how it sounds.

greetz, steff

Thanks Everyone!! It has been a fun project... and its not done yet

I will post Sound files in the future, I'm in the anal testing phase right now.

After the unit was powered for about 4 hours and running audio through it - the tubes got really hot.. they were glowing... so I powered down for a little while then powered it back up, shortly there after the fuse blew.

So nows the fun part..... I have the resistances of the Tube Pins and have been taking measurements. As I listed on another thread..

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=10134&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=gates+mod&start=15

A few of my resistance values are way off..... and the work begins.. Hopefully its something minor.

I'll let you know...

Thanks again for all your enthusiasm it really makes me feel all warm inside...

Cheers :sam: :guinness: :sam: :guinness: :wink:

David

The way to check the unit is take dc voltage readings from earth & compare them to the ones on the circuit diagram.
If you have things correct the voltage readings should be within 10%.

However, be a bit careful if you are using a DMM because the readings on the diagram were probably taken with an analogue meter with much lower impedance, which can load the circuit, & make things look wrong when they are in fact right.

Latest posts

Back