Well, we've seen a lot of these of course, but...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luny Tune

...I haven't seen one with these knobs on this "standard copy of a Gyraf frontplate" from Schaeffer. I think they fit it quite well so if anyone could use the inspiration...

Note, by the way how it works with the "Power" LED on the meter (which was not fitted with light). Red is probably not the best color for that purpose though...
Remember to remove the LED hole on the right next to the Power switch on your .fpd file if you know you want to do this before ordering the frontplate.
TuneTownGSSL.jpg

No, I thought about it but...
1. I was lazy so I didn't bother to open it up again,
2. I have already returned the camera I borrowed, and
3. I looked at everybody else's pictures and did it the same way. There's nothing new to see.

The only two different things I did was to place the LED on top of the meter, and then I added the 330nF and 47k in parallel to the sixth position on the release switch for an ultra fast release time. That position isn't marked on the frontplate though as I didn't know about that easy mod before I ordered it.

Actually I did that mod very nice, I think. I had nothing to "copy" so I had to think for myself. Maybe I should borrow the camera again and take picture of that anyway... Will do!

nice one!

i have the same knobs on my gssl too , except that they are silver.
i was thinking to decrease the release-time also , how much faster
is it compared to the 0.1 setting?

drumtan

wow.... I'm drooling over here...

would it be possible to turn my engraving ( standard copy of Gyraf, but with other personalisations), into one big HPGL file, so as to save on engraving?

oh yeah, what type of knobs, (source and part number please), are those?

great looking unit you have.....

These particular knobs are ordered from RS-Components. (rs-components.com, and they're aluminum).

But to see if I could find the manufacturers' name I looked at the scanned specification sheet that can be downloaded from those knobs' page at RS, and sure enough; They're called Chia Shin. They have a rather extensive collection of buttons. The largest I've seen. Check it out! Could be a link worth spreading around.:grin:

Well, I know this release mod as The Gustav Mod. (Gustav who's a member here!) I'm not sure if he's the brains behind it but apparently he's the one who told another DIY'er from Denmark about it, and he then told me... I just used the values he said.

I'm not even sure how fast it actually is, but it's blitz fast. I'll tell you that much.:grin: It's so fast that low frequencies sound distorted. Even just deep speech can trigger that. What's it good for then? Well, I've tried it on sung vocals and together with a blitz fast attack it makes the comp absolutely "invisible" even at low thresholds, and it's pretty cool on ambience tracks as well. Depending on what you go for of course...

I'm not sure whether or not it's REALLY useful as I haven't used the comp for more than a couple of days but the future will tell. :grin:

hey Luny Tune,

i dont mean to jump the thread, but what are those dbx163 units (under the gssl) like? i have a 164 (stereo 163) that i havent plugged in yet (wrong voltage) i might be inclined to mod it sooner if it is worth the sound, any relation to a 165???? (soft knee???)

great looking gssl! will help me in making a nice looking gssl in the near future!

thanks

I could certainly be wrong but I think the dbx163 has very little to do with the 165. Well, there maybe similarities in the design, but they're not famous for the same characteristics as far as I know.

I've worked a lot with the 163x and that one is famous for being really good on snare, percussion electric guitar, bass and just as a very affordable general purpose comp. It's great for giving that "snappy" sound to things. For bass I was never crazy about it though.

I then saw that someone wanted to sell two 163 comps and I wasn't even aware that that old box with the wooden panels existed or that was the original. And I got them both for just 50 ? so that in itself was a good deal. On top of that I found out that they actually sound better than the 163x, and suddenly I understood why it supposedly was great on bass. These babies are great on the afore mentioned things and furthermore they're quite good if you like to mix 2 or more compressors on vocals for instance.
The originals have faster attack and release so they're not as "snappy" sounding but they cover a wider range of use. I love the originals.

Are yours of the original type with the wooden panels, no level set button but a switch on the back, gain reduction LED go from left to right...?

Back