So what can't be cloned?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alan Turing's computer:

Turing_computer.jpg

:razz:

Jakob E.

[quote author="kkrafs"]A rare early series Philips Phillicorda tube organ!!

Not because it not possible to do it, but
because none would be insane enough to do it!!

Every key (5 octaves keyboard) had its
own set of tubes generating oscillators
and amplifiers and filtering (minitubes)!!

I have never seen so many tubes in one place!!

In later revisions this was replaced by transistors!

I really regret i trowed mine away! :green:

kkrafs[/quote]
The obvious thing is happening with those Philicorda's: since they're thrown away/cheap/found at the streetside they're starting to get used again by budget-challenged people. The consequences will be obvious as well :wink:

FWIW, a two-piece from NL uses them as well:
http://www.soundofzzz.nl/

In later revisions this was replaced by transistors!
IIRIC a now retired colleague designed a part for the follow-up: integrated top-octave dividers. Dunno whether that version made it into Phili-production though, but the IC was commercially available. TDA-something I thought.

FWIW...

How about amplifier ICs? I've heard of people making their own vacuum tubes and transistors out of junk from the hardware store but...

It would be fun to lay down some PN tracks with a microscope on some kind of a backing and plug it in.

From what I hear, you can make the equivalent of just about any component with just 'P' and 'N' doped materials in the right patterns.

Someone with a simulator: could you check up on what would happen characteristic-wise if you parallel'ed a 12AU7, a 12AT7, and a 12AX7 (one section of each) =ECC82,81,83

Maybe this would give us the remote-cutoff characteristics combined with the high voltage tolerance of the 6386?

Just a wild guess..

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back