Torodal transformer placement

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emperor-TK

Hi folks. I'm a newbie DIYer and have decided to tackle the G7 mic as my first project. I searched older posts for some info on toroid placement for the PS, but didn't see the info I was looking for. After reading about the effects of rotation and placement on induced noise, I thought I should ask about my plans first.

I have two questions about placement of the two transformers. First, is it OK to stack the two in the G7 PS, one on top of the other (common axis)?

Secondly, is it OK to place them vertically (side by side), with thier axis pointing at the rest of the power supply electronics?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi Chris,

Welcome to "The Lab"!

For toroids, placement and orientation is very very forgiving. For a thing like the G7 psu, I don't think you could possibly run into any problems, as there are no audio-related stuff in the psu box - other than the two signals been fed through to the output XLR.

But for e.g. the Pultec clone and the G9, I've had good results with mounting the two transformers on top of each other.

The small amounts of residue electrostatic noise from a toroid is loudest in the direction of where the wires come out.

Jakob E.

Thanks everyone for the replies. So is there a shock danger from the toroid itself, or is the danger in bumping one of the power capacitors?

Jakob, in a previous discussion you said:

"And btw, if you need to shield a toroid, remember that you under no conditions can allow both of the ends of the mounting bolt to connect to chassis. This would be a shorted winding on the transformer.. "

Does this mean that the exterior of the transformer is live, and how does this relate to stacking them? I'm not sure if I understand that statement.

Thanks,
Chris

[quote author="Emperor-TK"]Does this mean that the exterior of the transformer is live, and how does this relate to stacking them? I'm not sure if I understand that statement.[/quote]

No, it just means that if you have a metal bolt going through the centre, and this bolt is connected electrically in both ends ("around" the transformer) then you have an extra winding, that in effect is shorted.

So when mounting toroids, ONLY mount them from one end.'

Jakob E.

Latest posts

Back