Are Volkswagens Cool?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do Volkswagens Suck?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• no opinion

• other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CJ

GDIY Supporter
Just a friendly ol Brewery poll, what do you think?

Note: The views expressed on this thread do not necessarily represent
the good natured DIY spirit of the posters.
:razz:

Where's the poll?

I wanna kick in!

They suck flying, hairy, glow-in-the-dark Mooserod!

Hate the farkin' things!

punch buggy? -Punch the driver!

Where's my wrenches? -I'd come over there and vote myself, if only my car would start! :wink:

:green:

Keef

I can fix it! -or at least, I can get you to the nearest code monkey, they can get the parts, but it'll be pricey!

...and you might have to wait a bit!

...and there's a recall on that bit of code anyhow...

:razz:

Keats

My 1995 Jetta was great. A couple little things with big price tags broke, like the door latches, and rear drums. But it was a champ till a Suburban pulled out in front of it, when I was doing 45 MPH.

My 1998 Passat was amazing. Just a great feeling car. They have really loosey goosey suspension. So I threw some Eibach sport suspension on there and it felt far more nimble and spirited. That had 126,000 on when I traded it in. It was still running strong too. They sales guy called, the day after I traded it in, just to tell me how impressive he thought the car was. But that wasn't without its faults either. The Audi/Passat 4-link front suspension is notorious for the Control arms going bad every 60,000-80,000 miles. Which is an expensive fix at the dealer. But Midas did my lowers for $400. The late-90's VW's also have a problem with their window regulators.

They have their little issues but, I bought another. It has just over 20,000 miles on it.

DSCN0259.jpg

We're a good team.

Oh, nice fountain there!! :grin:

What does it say on the sign to the right?

It starts with NO?

NO swiming!

NO farting on the yard!

NO parking of folkswagens in front of fountain! :grin:

kkrafs

> difficulties with the polling mechanism. Must be Volkswagen software!

This is covered in the first edition of John Muir's
HOW TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE...A MANUAL OF STEP BY STEP PROCEDURES FOR THE COMPLEAT IDIOT.
They are up to the 19th edition but the poll-software chapter was dropped many printings ago.
To summarize: 1/2" wrench fits 12mm bolts; flywheel, axle, and poll-settings
can be put on with a blunt chisel and a 20 pound hammer.
Since these are also Ford tools (small Fords can be fixed with a little 20 pound hammer)
and I kept my Ford tools, I have set your poll.

We have a MK2 VW Golf GTI and a 1.3 Polo (1994).

I love VWs. My last car was a bay-window VW camper van. I loved it.

I have not had experience with the newer ones, but the ones I've been in have been as solid as a rock.

Nice car, Miko.

[quote author="PRR"]> difficulties with the polling mechanism. Must be Volkswagen software!

This is covered in the first edition of John Muir's
HOW TO KEEP YOUR VOLKSWAGEN ALIVE...A MANUAL OF STEP BY STEP PROCEDURES FOR THE COMPLEAT IDIOT.
[/quote]

I had a copy of that book, back when I had a Beetle. Great book. Later on I had a very similar book for my 1980 Subaru.

I think part of VW's problem is the fact that they have factories making the same car in three parts of the world. I mean Audi ranks pretty high and they use the same engineers, parts and manufacturing.

Golf's, Jetta's and New Beetles come from Germany, Mexico and Brasil. I think most of the problem dubs imported come from Mexico. Who knows?

My GTI comes from Brasil!

Ive got me an A4 and it comes with endless problems.. I love the handling (eibach sport) but the control arms and wheel bearings are costing me a small fortune.

So far on my dash, my odometer shorted out -- think i fixed it ;-)

Three lights on my panel died last week, pretty much at the same time and it is such a pain in the ass to get in behind the console that I am ignoring that problem for a while.

A few weeks ago my sunroof started just opening itself every so often, even if the car is not running, no key in the ignition. A bit concerned about this one because winter is coming soon.

I have put 60,000 kms on it this year alone, now at 170,000 in total. Other then the stupid electrical issues and the damn front end suspension.. maybe next time i'll get a pontiac firefly.

Any Yugo owners out there? :grin:

OK, I get it, the VW owners vote for VW, and Pugeot owners ....
well.....

Anybody own an El Camino? :razz:
Mullet car.

[quote author="Scodiddly"][quote author="PRR"]This is covered in the first edition of John Muir's
[/quote]
I had a copy of that book, back when I had a Beetle. Great book. Later on I had a very similar book for my 1980 Subaru.[/quote]
I still have mine. Essential reading for chilly, wet roadside strandings! :wink:

[quote author="jho-audio"]Ive got me an A4... [/quote]
Audi A4, or VW 'A4' platform (i.e. MkIV Golf/Jetta/NB/Seat/TT...?)

The Audi A4 front suspension is certainly complicated, as is it's B5 Passat sibling. Those need lots of care & feeding. Not so the Golf variants.

Keele Services

I have 2 cars a 2000 passat and a 82 bmw 320i.
All I can say is good thing I have my bmw or I'd be taking the bus a hell of a lot.

Front end on the passat is a piece of F ing .... also if i hear one more bloody warning beep coming from the dash shes going straight into a wall.

Latest posts

Back